CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bob Hormell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 15:45:44 -0600
At 08:51 AM 5/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Andy Chertow wrote:
>>
>> I must disagree with Chomsky's statement about the 'sad legacy' of 1968's
>> radical student movement and the negative consequences allegedly suffered by
>> those radicals who did not plan for the future but thought that
Revolution was
>> imminent.

>        So I believe Chomsky is in error to say that the 60's were tragic
>for the revolutionaries (if I am restating his position correctly). The
>powers that be would like us to believe that the 60's were a failure.
>Chomsky may have succumbed to the force of that assertion by elitists
>because he is partially immersed in the rarified atmosphere of his
>academic acheivements and interaction with such elites, despite his well
>thought out critique of statist society.

>        I think I can understand that Chomsky is ethically concerned by
>the burnout of radicals used as cannon fodder by political movements. He
>may also be concerned about premature committment to revolutionary
>strategy which results in "wasted" lives. But this attitude is merely . . .

Humm, well it is nice to see their are some people on top of these type of
questions.

I would like to add my 2 cents worth here. I was one of those radicals who
did not plan for the future but thought that Revolution was imminent.

Chomsky is right to say that the 60's were tragic for the revolutionaries.
Most of us either got locked up, jailed, killed, or OD. Later marginalized,
vilification, various rehab schemes and so on. Not to speak of having our
spirit crushed, the isolation, suffering alone the crimes of misinformation.
Tragic indeed.

Glad to hear and see we made some lives fuller.

If it wasn't for lists like this, life would be a lot duller  indeed :)-.

>> I would call it a proud legacy.  While there is nothing wrong with
organizing or
>> with building movements, there are times when the people are way out in
front of
>> their so-called leaders and events that were not anticipated take place.
While
>> there are always revolutionaries there are revolutions only infrequently
and I
>> don't see that history suggests that they follow a program.
>>
>> Andy

Bob Hormell
American Justice Out Of Control: Execution By Default
http://www.frontier.net/~rhormell