CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brian McAndrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 11:51:08 -1812
 Truth, propaganda, honesty, integrity, deception, good, evil, courage,
conspiracy, theory,practice, evidence, proof, human nature, language, tower
of Babel, meaning, understanding, confusion...
  I'm new to the list but not to Chomsky's views. I heard of this list from
a list known as FUTUREWORK; seems like the same concepts keep emerging.

 Herbert Schiller, author of  _Culture Inc._ Oxford, 1989 had this to say:

   "It is not necessary to construct a theory of intentional cultural control.
    In truth, the strength of the control process rests in its apparent
    absence. The desired systemic result is acheived ordinarily by a loose

    though effective institutional process. It utilizes the education of
    journalists and other media professionals, built-in penalties and rewards
    for doing what is expected, norms presented as objective rules, and the
    occasional but telling direct intrusion from above. The main lever is the
    internalization of values"

 Ludwig Wittgenstein in his _Philosophical Investigations_ goes even deeper:

   "Those aspects of things that are most important to us are hidden because
    of their simplicity and familiarity"

 Happy Mother's Day

*  Brian McAndrews                               *
*  Faculty of Education, Queen's University      *
*  Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6                     *
*  FAX:   (613)-545-6584                         *
*  e-mail:   [log in to unmask]            *
*  "Perhaps I pursued too much the 'it' and not  *
*  enough the 'we'"                              *
*    Albert Einstein (shortly before his death)  *