CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 18:32:03 -0400
Brian writes:
----------

> Don writes:
> >However, I find it humorously ironic that, out of the dozen or so groups
> >belong to, with people of all experience levels represented therein, I
have
> >seen , and received, more scolding for "rule"-breaking here, at the
> >anarcho-syndicalist rest stop, then anywhere else.
>
> Without laws, rules must be "enforced" by persuasion--so sometimes
there's
> gotta be lotsa persuasion, especially with an anti-social type like
yourself.
> :)

I appreciate the humor in this, but the underlying thought here really
needs some looking at. Where is the line between "law" and "rule"?

Also, keep in mind that (NY Governor) George Pataki ran on the claim that
the death penalty was, in fact, "persuasion". Note - New York State now has
a death penalty : (

"Ve haf vays of making you..."

Don DeBar