CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:41:16 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2002/08/10/1028158032429.htm

Row on Iraq erupts

Date: August 11 2002

By Brendan Nicholson
Canberra

The row over Australia's threatened wheat exports to Iraq has
developed into a political brawl, with Opposition Leader Simon Crean
telling a "hot-headed" Foreign Minister Alexander Downer to calm down
and the Federal Government accusing Labor of taking Saddam Hussein's
side.

Iraq's senior representative in Australia, Saad Al Samarai, has for
the first time threatened to cut all Australian wheat imports, worth
more than $800 million a year, in retaliation for Australia's support
of US plans to launch a possible invasion.

Dr Samarai accused Australia of going further even than the US in the
"iron language" it directed at Iraq and said Mr Downer's comments in
support of Washington a month ago triggered the cancellation of an
order for 500,000 tonnes of wheat. Four ships loaded with Australian
wheat are held up in Iraqi ports after claims that their cargo was
contaminated.

The Howard Government's support for America's apparent military
option has already started to divide opinion in Australia. And, in
the US, a vigorous debate has begun over whether a military strike
against Baghdad is the wisest course of action.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister John Howard said it was more
probable than not that America would take action in Iraq, "but just
when and in what circumstances and preceded by what I don't know".
Last week, he said if Australia was asked to support military action
by the US, "it would be the subject of very thorough debate in this
country".

The Sunday Age conducted an e-mail survey of all federal members of
the House of Representatives and senators asking the question: "Would
you support Australian military involvement in a pre-emptive US-led
strike on Iraq?"

Of 38 responses, 36 expressed an opinion. The only supporter was also
the only Coalition MP to express an opinion, the member for Paterson,
Bob Baldwin, who said he backed military intervention "on Australia's
terms, after discussion in parliament".

The other responses mostly expressing either outright opposition or
the need to await a decision on military intervention from the United
Nations came from Labor members in both houses and Independent,
Democrat and Greens senators.

Asked about the Iraqi threats, Mr Crean said Mr Downer had handled
the issue badly. "He has talked up the problem, rather than talked
about a solution, and Australia, and its wheat growers in particular,
are paying a very high price for that talking up.

"Alexander Downer ought to calm down. He ought to get behind the
appropriate approach, which is to get the UN in there, get the
weapons inspectors in there, do a proper assessment of the
circumstances in Iraq. Do it with cool heads, not hot heads.

"Alexander Downer's hot-headedness is costing Australian wheat growers."

Mr Downer's spokesman responded by accusing Mr Crean of taking
President Saddam's side. "The Foreign Minister is astonished that
Simon Crean would adopt the Iraqi line on this issue."

He said this remained a commercial issue between Baghdad and the
Australian Wheat Board.

Mr Crean said American intelligence gathering had to be an important
part of any assessment of the threat posed by Iraq.

"But it has to be a coalition of support, and it has to be built
around the facts of the case and proper analysis, not just
off-the-top-of-the-head statements."

Mr Crean said the solution to getting Australian wheat back into Iraq
was to insist upon the arms inspectors going back into Iraq.

He said Labor had two criteria that had to be met before it would
support unilateral US action against Iraq - establishing a link
between Baghdad and the al Qaeda terrorist network and exhausting UN
efforts for weapons inspections.

http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2002/08/10/1028158031782.htm

First strike - what our politicians say

Date: August 11 2002

Of 38 responses, 36 MPs expressed an opinion.

Michael Danby, ALP member for Melbourne Ports: Labor supports the
insistence of the UN Secretary General Kofi Annan that Iraq must
accept the new strong inspection regime to identify and destroy
Bahgdad's terror weapons and missiles. As former Peace Ambasador and
Chief UN Weapons Inspector Richard Butler said, all diplomatic
avenues must be pursued. If and when such diplomatic means have been
exhausted then it may be necessary for Australia to consider action
in conjunction with the US.

Brian Harradine, Independent senator, Tasmania: A number of the eight
principles for a just war and its conduct have not yet been made out.

Penny Wong, Labor senator, South Australia: No, I do not. Involving
Australian citizens in any military action ought only be considered
if it is unequivocally in the national interest to do so.

Julia Gillard, ALP member for Lalor: I would not support such
involvement, but dealing with this issue is more complex that a quick
e-mail response.

Bob Sercombe, ALP member for Maribyrnong: I respond to your survey as follows:

In the light of presently available information, I do not support
Australian military involvement in a pre-emptive US led strike on
Iraq. The UN should first endorse any military action against Iraq.
The international community's priority should be to ensure getting
weapons inspectors into Iraq.

Andrew Bartlett, Democrats senator, Queensland: No.

Tanya Plibersek, ALP member for Sydney: No

Jan McLucas, ALP senator, Queensland: The current situation does not
warrant a pre-emptive strike.

Sid Sidebottom ALP member Braddon, Tasmania: There must be time for
informed parliamentary and community debate rather than Rambo
rhetoric and blind allegiance to an alliance system.

Gavan O'Connor, ALP member for Corio: All the facts must be laid on
the table and fully debated before any decision is made to send
Australian troops off to fight in Iraq.

Sue Mackay, ALP senator, Tasmania: No, I would not support Australian
military involvement in a pre-emptive US-led strike on Iraq.

Kelly Hoare ALP member for Charlton: I do not believe the case can be
made as would warrant a direct military attack on Iraq.

Natasha Stott Despoja, Democrats senator, South Australia: No, I
would not support Australian military involvement in a pre-emptive
US-led strike on Iraq. When Parliament returns, the Senate will vote
on a Democrat motion opposing Australia's participation in a first
strike.

Jennis George, ALP member for Throsby: I would not support a
pre-emptive US-led strike on Iraq. The matter is best left in the
hands of the United Nations to achieve acceptable outcomes in
accordance with earlier decisions in relation to weapons of mass
destruction.

Kim Carr, ALP senator, Victoria: I do not support the use of
Australian troops in an attack on Iraq.

John Murphy, ALP member for Lowe: No.

Meg Lees, Independent senator, South Australia: Absolutely not!

Bob Baldwin, Liberal member for Paterson: Yes, but on Australia's
terms, after discussion in the parliament.

Graham Edwards, ALP member for Cowan: In my view, a committment that
requires members of the Australian Defence Force to put their lives
on the line requires a response more considered than a mere
popularity poll.

Claire Moore, ALP senator, Queensland: At this stage, there is not
the case for such a monumental step . . .

Dick Adams, ALP member for Lyons: I would vote against it in Caucus.

Kelvin Thomson, ALP member for Wills: Not unless new information is
made available which would justify such an attack.

Shayne Murphy, Independent senator, Tasmania: There must be full
parliamentary debate before making any commitments on Australia's
behalf.

Craig Emersen, ALP member for Rankin: I do not support Australian
military involvement in an American pre-emptive strike against Iraq.
The issue should be dealt with by the United Nations rather than the
US making its own decision.

Harry Jenkins, ALP member for Scullin: I am quite happy with Simon
Crean's position on behalf of the Opposition outlining the need for
further debate on this question.

Ann Corcoran, ALP member for Isaacs: Not at this stage, we must first
use all diplomatic and peaceful means available to address the
situation. Conflict should be a last resort.

Duncan Kerr ALP member for Denison: I do not believe the case has yet
been made for a military strike on Iraq nor for Australian
involvement in any such direct attack .

Joel Fitzgibbon, ALP member for Hunter: Only when all diplomatic
options have been exhausted and a sufficient case for action is put
to the Parliament including a link between Iraq and terrorism or a
rapid build-up of weapons of mass destruction.

Nick Bolkus, ALP senator, South Australia: I strongly oppose any
action which does not have the endorsement of the UN Security
Council. We should not be "spurring on" the hawks in the US
administration, but should be counselling in the interests of peace.

Brendan O'Connor, ALP member for Burke: In the current circumstances
I would oppose Australian military involvement in a US-led
pre-emptive strike on Iraq. It would be reckless, irresponsible, not
to mention subservient, to commence a war without just cause, and
full public (including parliamentary) debate to determine the matter.

Len Harris, Senator, Pauline Hanson's One Nation, Queensland: The
first thing that should be done is to survey the Australian people to
see if they approve before we commit troops. The second (should be
to) carry out an audit of the capabilities of the remaining forces to
protect Australia if more Australian Defence Force personnel and
equipment were sent to Iraq.

Lyn Allison, Democrats senator, Victoria: I most certainly do not
support Australia's involvement in a pre-emptive US-led strike on
Iraq. I don't support any country taking first-strike action.

John Cherry Democrats senator, Queensland: No, Australia should act
within the rules of the United Nations.

Kerry Nettle, Senator, Australian Greens, NSW: No.

Harry Quick, ALP member for Franklin: I totally oppose Australian
military involvement in a pre-emptive US-led strike on Iraq.
President Bush's zealotry and desire to be seen as saviour of the
Free World, will lead to further world political turmoil, untold
human suffering and an unimagineable amount of money being given to
the American industrial war machine.

Jill Hall, ALP member for Shortland: No