CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Howard Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 12:33:57 -0700
Tresy Kilbourne wrote:

> Bob Smith wrote:
>
> >  I don't know much about Horowitz, but both leftists and rightists paint
> >their "enemies" in the worst possible light.
> So do "centrists". We see this every day, in that trite journalistic
> phrase, "eschewing the extremes of left and right." I will let the Right
> defend its own turf, but virtually every valuable social advance in
> modern times started out as an "extreme" left position. Today's centrism
> is little but yesterday's leftism taken for granted.
>
> More to the point, are you saying that pointing out the evil of your
> opponent's positions makes you evil also, that there is no moral
> difference, say, between Pat Robertson saying that feminists want to
> destroy families, kill their children, become lesbians, and practice
> witchcraft, and feminists replying, on the basis of that evidence and
> much else, that Pat Robertson is a raving demagogue? Seems like this is a
> prescription for political impotence, if you ask me.
>
> Best,
>
> Tresy

        Right , Tresy.  Moralism definitely has it s place , especially
in anarchist theory and practice. There is a false choice posed by those
who seek to control debate. If you are emotional your are supposedly not
rational or vice versa. As a scientist, I reject this as Establishment
dogma. Humans are BOTH rational and emotional by nature. The only that
that has to be done is to Integrate the scientific method with activism.

                        Howard