CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:21:05 -0400
>I have seen no messages from Milutin protesting the bombing of Chechnya.

Nor have you seen any on the bombing of Iraq(continues still today), or the
violence in East Timor(oh, Clinton can’t call this genocide), or the daily
horrors which we just call “capitalism”.

I subsidies these activities.  It’s against my will though(not according to
Martin, because “I can leave this country whenever I want”).

>Nobody else has protested the bombing of Chechnya either.  Not on this
list, and nowhere else, either, that I have seen.

I agree, the areas I’m more involved in haven’t said a word on it
either(that I’ve noticed).

>So can we finally admit that the protests of the NATO bombing were not
motivated by the immorality of bombing?

Quick jump to that conclusion.  I think you would have to provide a little
bit more evidence?

>Because, apparently, bombing Chechens is ok.  Bombing Serbs is not.

Much of these Chomsky list has been silent for a few weeks now.  My
anti-Nato stuff was first in responds to others and then I started posting
other relevant stuff.

I have to admit though, it is much different when you complain about the
bombing of Iraq, or genocide in East Timor(the worst case since the
Holocaust) then when your dealing with the country where all your family
roots lie.  When they start bombing the city you were born in -- it is a
little different.

Now, my knowledge of YU and the Bosnian war is disproportionate to the
amount suffering there(relative to other events in recent history).  So I
feel guilty that I don’t know as much as what happened and is happening in
El Salvador as I do in Kosovo.

But, when people see my name they expect me to know more about YU and so I’m
forced to be more educated on it.  When it comes to warfare in the last 50
years, YU has suffered the least (per day, very low intensity).  Of course,
knowing the more extreme cases in other places of the world, like East Timor
and Guatemala, puts everything in perspective.

Milutin

--
While arms warehouses fill as quick as tha cells
Rally round tha family, pockets full of shells