CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bob Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:18:30 -0800

>It comes down to this.  Suppose Rabbi Rosencrantz, member of Likud,
>converts to Catholicism and even retains his old profession, rising
>through the ranks of the church to become Bishop of Haifa.  Is he still
>a Jew?  Can he be a Jew and a Catholic at the same time?  Instead of
>Catholicism, suppose he converts to Islam.  Can he be a Jew and a Muslim
>at the same time?
>
>martin

I don't think one would be allowed to be a minister in two different
religions at the same time, but you make an excellent point, Martin. Is
there, can there be, such a thing as a Jewish Catholic? Or a Jewish
Baptist? Or a Jewish Mormon? I've never even heard the expression before.
Has anyone else?

Never really thought about it, but I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that
the word Jew must, in some way, refer to a persons religious affiliation.

Bob