CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:41:10 -0400
I'm in a little of a rush now, reply better later tonight.

But, I'll leave you with this quote:

“You know, it's a very simple ethical point: You're responsible for the
predictable consequences of your actions. You're not responsible for the
predictable consequences of somebody else's actions. The most important
thing for me and for you is to think about the consequences of your actions.
What can you affect.

“These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic
exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth
century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are
suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that
we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly
involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is
ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests
of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the
needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the
blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing
themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system.

“What about the Third World? Well, despite everything, and it's pretty ugly
and awful, ah, these struggles are not over. The struggle for freedom and
independence never is completely over.

“Their courage, in fact, is really remarkable and amazing. I've personally
had the privilege -- and it is a privilege -- of witnessing it a few times
in villages in Southeast Asia and Central America and recently in the
occupied West Bank, and it is astonishing to see.

“And it's always amazing -- at least to me it's amazing -- I can't
understand it, it's also very moving and very inspiring; in fact, it's kind
of awe-inspiring.  Now they rely very crucially on a very slim margin for
survival that's provided by dissidence and turbulence within the imperial
societies, and how large that margin is, is for us to determine.”
                                        Noam Chomsky

Calm like a BOMB!

Milutin

--
While arms warehouses fill as quick as tha cells
Rally round tha family, pockets full of shells