CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
alister air <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:02:26 +1000
At 09:27 31/03/99 +0200, Martin William Smith wrote:

>Are you saying the Serbs are doing even more inhuman things that are
>being covered up by the bombing?  As if what we do know about isn't
>bad enough?  What do you mean by cover?

Yes, it's getting worse.  The bombing gives the perfect pretext for
"relocation" of Albanian Kosovars.  You'd be aware that it's certainly
lending Milosovic support, and hardening opinion against the Albanians - so
some otherwise moderate Serbs aren't going to be so concerned about
Albanians getting killed off.

>Do you mean they have accelerated their effort to clear the region of
>all albanians?  Why else would they do that - just when the bombing
>started - if not because they know they are running out of time to get
>it done?

Because they can do whatever they like now that it's war.  Look - if NATO
was in any way serious about stopping Albanian casualties, they would have
sent in ground forces.  It's the only way to stop what's going on, now that
they've started air strikes (which are largely ineffectual).  Stopping
Albanians being killed can only be done on the ground.

>Then by not bombing we could reduce his support.  The longer we don't
>bomb, the less support he will have.  If we hold back the bombing long
>enough, eventually his support will drop to 0.  But by then, the
>albanians will be scattered all over Europe.

Bombing by itself accomplished absolutely nothing.  It doesn't even break
down the military.  It removes a part of its ability to function - it'll
take out the air force - but nothing will stop ground troops.  The
territory is such that you can hide armies down there without them being
spotted from the air.  Guess what the paramilitary forces are doing?

>No.  Milosevic, too, will pass.  If the people want him for a leader,
>they can have him.  If they don't want him, they have to get him out.

What, leaving aside the fact that he now exercises a pretty firm control
over... well, everything?  How easy would it be to get him out now?

Alister