CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Howard Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 00:22:46 -0700
Tom Trouble wrote:

> Juan,
>
> This list was advertised as an unmoderated list.  It appears this is not
> true.  Brian Callahan was "mistakenly" removed from the Chomsky list after
> he wrote a message apparently criticizing the list-owner's theories. Now
> he's on "probation"--his messages will be reviewed by you (the list-owner)
> and then forwarded on to the subscribers if he deems them relevant.  A fine
> example of totalitarian thinking.
>
> Now I have received another message on another listserv (the anarchy-list)
> in which yet another person has been placed on "probation" because they
> posted something you deemed inappropriate for the list.  Another fine
> example of petty totalitarian bullshit?  What the fuck is going on?
>
> Also, Brian sent a message to both the anarchy list and Chomsky list--it
> appeared on the anarchy list, yet it was censored from the Chomsky list.
> Why was his message censored?  If you are going to engage in censorship,
> please don't advertise this list as "unmoderated".  I was told this list "is
> for intellectuals, political activists and linguistic scholars, interested
> in the ideas of Noam Chomsky WITHOUT RESTRICTION according to interest or
> professional affilation."  Obviously, this is not true.  This list obviously
> imposes RESTRICTIONS.  Is this your idea of "keeping the rabble in line?"
> If so, please rename this list.  This sort of hypocrisy is ridiculous.
>
> Tom

       Thanks, Tom . I will be resigning this list and the sociobiology
list owned by Juan , too. As an anarchist, I regret that it was a message
i posted that attracted many people here. I hope to see you on
alt.fan.noam-chomsky.

                        Howard