CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wat Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 17:13:53 -0800
Tresy Kilbourne wrote:
>James Bissett, Canada's ambassador to Yugoslavia wrote:
>
>> Our political leaders and much of the media have said that the bombing of
>> Yugoslavia was launched to stop ethnic cleansing and atrocities.
. . .
>Hey, what's this heresy doing here? All useful idiots of Yugoslav propaganda
>know that no one was killed by the Serbs--it's all Western bigotry. Damn
>Canadians. First Brian Adams, now this.

Well there is the forthright US Senator Roth, the senator from NATO who
stated on the floor of the US Senate that 100,000 Kosovars had been
presumed killed and that was plenty to justify the NATO bombing. No matter
that it was a lie. No matter that no correction or retraction followed. The
damage is done and Senator Roth accomplished his mission. A little
something. Something similar to the character assassination Tresy ran on
poor old Ramsey Clark a while back.

A lovely profile:
http://www.polamcon.org/nato/roth.html
"NATO enlargement is erasing destabilizing and immoral dividing lines
imposed by Stalin that are relics of the Cold War. In doing so, its
enlargement will not only make Europe a safer and more peaceful continent,
it will provide the foundation of security necessary for a genuine
reconciliation between the former captive nations of the Soviet Union and
Russia."

http://www.senate.gov/~roth/press/natosummit.html
"There are still today Allies who wish to require NATO to attain a UN or an
OSCE mandate prior to undertaking out-of-area military actions. I cannot
think of a more destructive poison pill for the Alliance. A UN mandate
would give non-NATO countries, such as Russia and China, a veto over
Alliance decisions. We must not forget that NATO was established in 1949 to
overcome the inability of the United Nations to act decisively in the face
of danger, threats, and conflagration."