CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Howard Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 09:31:18 -0700
DDeBar wrote:

> Earlier, Dr. Garelli had written:
>
> > > Psychopathologically, self-deception characterizes a mental
> > > condition known as _psychopathy_ or _sociopathy_, which displays a
> > > number of sub-syndromes spanning a vast range of external
> > > manifestations: from crime and murder to manipulating others.
>
> > > This is important, to my mind, since politicians and socially
> > > successful people are almost invariably psychopaths of different
> > > kinds of severity. Detecting them, penetrating the barrier of
> > > self-deception is therefore of the utmost importance for a society
> > > based on mutual cooperation.
>
> I, Don DeBar, had written (see earlier post) that he didn't know that it
> would be effective or possible to train the next generation of the elite to
> be "healthy" leaders. I have since re-read Dr. Garelli's original post, and
> realize that even if this is true, there may well be some value in applying
> this effort to the rest of society. The reduction of pathology in the rest
> of society may well help remove the TV, drug & alcohol addictions many
> working people suffer from the equation, as well as helping to reduce the
> social and political catatonia that oppression can induce. Obviously, the
> big problem is one of control of this program under existing
> conditions...will it be used to help, or further oppress, working people.
>
> DD

        The issues that Dr Garelli is concerned with are very important.
You are right to be concerned about possible abuse of the problems if it
escapes the control of the developer or the developer's followers "run
amuck". But it is also risky to let society be subjected to the tragedy
induced by statist conditions. We are better off trusting our fellow
libertarians than accepting the "statist-quo" (sp. intentional).

                        Howard