CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Howard Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 1997 23:26:54 -0700
Juan Carlos Garelli wrote:

> In a message dated  4 May 97 at 14:07, Matthew Levy says:
>
>  >         There has been much discussion on  this list recently on
>  >         the
>  > related issues of political psychopathology and childcare.  Much of
>  > this seems to be prompted by Dr. Garelli's original comment that
>  > many of our political problems are attributable to the pathological
>  > character of politicians, and the suggestion that we can do away
>  > with such problems  by having mental health care professionals
>  > monitor our elected (or unelected) officials, and by introducing
>  > new methods of childrearing.
>
> I never said such a thing. Moreover, I asserted that current
> political sociopaths are irredeemable, and that nothing can be done
> to redress this situation.
>
> What I did say is that there are ways to early detection of
> psychopathic and sociopathic tendencies in infants and preschoolers
> and that psychiatric intervention in those cases might prevent
> anti-social developments.
>
> It couldn't be further from the truth to assert I ever mentioned
> introducing new methods of childrearing. I only talked about
> enhancing maternal care in a frivolous world where children are
> reared by maids and au pair girls.
>
> If this is the biased, foul way the work of Attachment Theorists is
> going to be construed, I will refrain from posting anything else on
> the issue in future.
>
> Juan Carlos Garelli, M.D., Ph.D.
> Department of Early Development
> Attachment Research Center
> University of Buenos Aires

        Juan, it would be profoundly regrettable if you were to feel that
those who have misinterpreted what you say make it necessary to abandon
your discussion. Clearly, you are correct to pursue this discussion to
its logical conclusion which is a proposal vis a vis educational and
clinical/counseling psychology to help prevent the development of
psychopathologies fostered by authoritarian institutions. I hope you will
continue....

                        Howard