CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
buzzanco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 06:21:09 -0600
The Kennan quote can be found in the State Department's collection of U.S.
documents, FOREIGN RELATIONS OF THE UNITED STATES. I quote it in an article
I wrote that's on the web which you can access at
http://vi.uh.edu/pages/buzzmat/bernathlecture.htm

Don't know the source of Hitler quote.

Bob Buzzanco
Univ. of Houston

At 05:08 PM 2/16/2000 +1100, you wrote:
>Hi People,
>
>        I am looking for exact primary sources for the following quotes from
>the ZNET User Quotes Page. Can anyone help?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Craig
>
>"We have 50 per cent of the world's wealth, but only
>6.3 per cent of its population. In this situation,
>our real job in the coming period is to devise a
>pattern of relationships which permit us to maintain
>this position of disparity. To do so,
>we have to dispense with alll sentimentality
>. . . we should cease thinking about human
>rights, the raising of living
>standards and democratisation."
>
>- George Kennan, US Cold War Planner, 1948
>
>"We stand for the maintenance of private property...We shall protect
>free enterprise as the most expedient, or rather the sole possible
>economic order. - Adolf Hitler

Bob Buzzanco
Associate Prof. of History
University of Houston