CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 16:00:06 -0700
Hi Silvia:  That sounds like a fascinating study.  If you happen upon the
reference to it sometime, please send it to me.

Let me ask you your views on the following cosmological problem that I have
with the conclusion.  I have no problem accepting the conclusion of the bird
behaviour FOR BIRDS.  Indeed, geese in flight do a similar thing, rotating
out of the most difficult point position.  But I have an existential belief
that there is another plane of existence in addition to survival in this
dimension.  Specifically, that the universe as we know it is the product of
an awesome energy-information source commonly called God or equivalent.  I
suspect that there are many paths to learning about and synchronizing our
activities to be in harmony with this source. Through historical accident,
the path that I have traveled is Christianity, one tenet of which is "love
your enemy" (turn the other cheek, etc.).  Unfortunately, I often fail at
accomplishing this imperative.  However, when I succeed, I find it incredibly
liberalizing in the sense of freeing me from my antipathies and somehow
transforming the negative relationship into at least a tolerable one and
sometimes a positive one.  That, in turn, has implications for a kind of
"force-field" for proliferating goodness (altruism, etc.).  This, however,
seems to be a contradiction of the bird behaviour which shuns the
non-reciprocators (or negative people?).  Yet in my experience it seems to
work in a paradoxical fashion and actually increase survival power by
neutralizing negative and destructive tendencies and relationships.  If I
have managed to make sense in communicating what I am trying to say, how
would you react to it?  Thanks.  Dan