CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
trust5235 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 22:17:40 -0800
> Your analysis is arguable. Though it implies an implicit acceptance of of
the Zionist/Jewish equation. Anyway, it is a stretch to define that as a
"security" issue, rather than a religion-based issue.

Yes, didn't mean to imply that equating "jew" with "zionist" was the right
way to go, and I don't think it is, just that it's commonly done, especially
in the U.S.  Since that's the case I can understand Palestinian concerns and
don't see them as necessarily based on religion.  I think the whole
situation of mistrust by Arabs of Jews in the Middle East could be improved
if MORE attention was paid to the distinction between 'Jew' and 'Zionist'.
To me, one is religious while the other is political.  So rejection of the
first by arabs is abhorrent, but objection to the other, on
political/security grounds, not religious grounds, at least requires a
second look.

Thanks for your comments.  I enjoy your posts.
-Christian.