CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"F. Leon Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 14:29:58 -0400
List members:

I  do not mind anyone announcing other CHOMSKY resources on this list.
As a matter of fact, I encourage that. This is part of the charter of
this list is to identify ALL resources related to the philosophy, work
and influences of Noam Chomsky.

However, to imply that this list is censored or filtering a particular
point of view is simply NOT TRUE.

I hope everyone  read my ADMIN: 7128 * * UPDATE * *
Posted  to the list on Thursday, 8 May 1997 14:07:21 -0400.

If not, please see our archives or send me a private note and I will
forward it to you.  The CHOMSKY archives are located at:

        http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/CHOMSKY.html

A few facts about this list.

                This list has changed ownership.

I have been a member of the CHOMSKY list from day one.  I am the "NEW"
list owner.  However, I am not new to list ownership.  I own several
other lists.

What took place on this list before Wednesday, May, 07, 1997 is over.
I have personally resolved ALL those issues/concerns/problems.

I announced this fact in the ADMIN: 7128 * * UPDATE * *

The people involved in the various altercations have:

A) Left (SIGNED-OFF) the list. Some under protest.

* * * What better way to show your dissatisfaction with *any* list.

B) The people involved has had ALL issues completely worked out to
   THEIR COMPLETE satisfaction.

Everyone involved is HAPPY.

If you have any questions about this, you should contact them
(directly/privately) to confirm this statement.  Again, the archives will
furnish all the details you need.

There is absolutely NO CENSORSHIP of ideas dealing with "the discussions
of the philosophy, work and influences of Noam Chomsky."

* I do not permit SPAM.

* I do not permit personal messages to be repeatedly posted to any of my
  lists.

What I mean by a personal message is:

"Hey Bud, meet me at Dingbat's for drinks tonight."

        This should be done privately.

On the other hand a message saying, "*All/any* CHOMSKY list members in
the Tri-State area are invited to meet me for drinks tonight at Dingbat's"
 is totally acceptable.

If people find this unfair, please contact me.

Please understand by position:

 + I, together with the collective you, will build and run CHOMSKY as a
   WORLD CLASS list.

 + Collectively, those interested will discussion how to make this list
   valuable for everyone involved.  As list owner, I will make the finial
   decisions regarding procedural, administrative and operational issues
   related to CHOMSKY on St. Johns.

 + I will not be a "list policeman."

 + I will not tolerate members of this list launching personal attack on
   each other.
                        Take it off the list.

 + I will not tolerate "flame wars" between members or their factions.

                        Take it off the list.

This means that, as the list owner, I am prepared to maintain order and
the smooth running of this list if it becomes necessary.  I believe that
is a "firm but fair," way to run a discussion list of this size.  Other
than that, discuss what you like as long as it is related to the
philosophy, work and influences of Noam Chomsky. Even this is expandable.

If people have questions about various issues taking place before my
ownership which officially began on May 8th 1997, I suggest two things.

1) Contact the people involved and see what their thoughts are as to how
   I resolved those issues.

2) If you have specific questions/issues, as to how I dealt with them,
   please address them with me directly and not on the list.

   This list is for the discussions of the philosophy, work and influences
   of Noam Chomsky."

I will say that several people have left the list including Dr. Juan
Garelli.  No one was ask to leave.  No one was under any restrictions.

As the List Owner of CHOMSKY, I have three (3) primary objectives:

1. The discussions of the philosophy, work and influences of Noam Chomsky.

2. To build and run a WORLD CLASS list.

3. To learn, teach, enjoy and fellowship with many of the interesting
   people and great minds that this list can attract.

Let's put this "censorship" issue behind us, and enjoy CHOMSKY on St. Johns.

Please direct your personal comments to me privately.   However, if it is
a "list issue" post it, but be sure you address it specifically to me.

Best regards,

F. Leon Wilson
Chomsky List Owner