CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bob Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 06:50:09 -0400

<<  and even today, if you give
 the liberals enough power, they will immediately be setting up gulags
 again (what he is doing here is this practice that right wingers always
 accuse liberals of, in 'trying to be victims'). >>

  I don't know much about Horowitz, but both leftists and rightists paint
their "enemies" in the worst possible light.  This seems especially the case
with former leftists or rightists who have felt betrayed by their movements
(I didn't leave the XYZ Party; the XYZ Party left me!).
   As for gulags, read Solzhenitsyn's "The Gulag Archipelago" about how Lenin
promised an end to the tsarist police state and prisons and ended setting up
his own.
-- Bob