CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"F. Leon Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 23:16:16 -0400
For your information . . .

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Democracy University Vol. 7: Chomsky on language (4/98), Ramos-Horta and Stahl
on East Timor (4/96), and Chomsky on Politics (10/97)

Dear Justicevision Supporters and Friends:

Thanks to those of you that have ordered Democracy University Volume 6 with
the three political events (two talks and a reception) with Noam Chomsky. I
mentioned that I had also taped Noam's talk on language entitled "New Horizons
in the Study of Language" (Winona State University, 4/20/98, 2 hours) but that
I hadn't decided what to put it with. I had ruled out putting all 4 events on
one tape because of the high cost of the 8-hour tapes it would require. I have
since located some more reasonably priced. So if you are willing to send a few
dollars more than you were planning to (say $3 to $5 more) I will include it
with the the three other events.

Before coming up with affordable 8-hour tapes, I had come up with the
following combination of three events on one tape. In addition to the Chomsky
Language talk mentioned previously, it will include an event on East Timor by
the East Timor Action Network that featured Jose Ramos-Horta, who shortly
after received the Nobel Peace Prize, and filmmaker Max Stahl, an eyewitness
to East Timorese massacres. As those of you that have heard or read Dr.
Chomsky or saw the movie about him (Manufacturing Consent) are aware, the
massacres and subsequent under-reporting of events in East Timor are of
significant concern to him. Hence the pairing. As a third event on the same
tape, I am including Dr. Chomsky's 55 minute talk "Prospects for the Third
World, At Home and Abroad", which I videotaped last October at Hampshire
College in Amherst, MA, which is taken from the "Border Crossings" conference,
previously offered.

If you've already ordered DU6, let me know ASAP if you would like the extended
version, or if you would like me to send DU7, which is what we are calling the
Chomsky Language/East Timor/Chomsky Amherst tape described herein. This tape
times out to a bit over 5 hours, and is available for a donation of $10 or
more. If  ordered together with DU6, we will discount the minimum to $8, for a
total minimum donation of $18 for the two.

Please let me know if you are interested, since finances seem to be getting
away from us again, due primarily to travel expenses.

Best Wishes,
-Ralph Cole, organizer of Justicevision
[log in to unmask], (213) 747-6345

P.S. Chomsky will be speaking on or about May 4 in London. Any angels out
there willing to help get me on a plane?

PPS: I apologize if the above is rather sparse on description or promotion. I
know it is difficult to order something if the quality and contents haven't
even been mentioned. Let me just say that Chomsky is the Coltrane of
Criticism. The Language event was the best introduction to his work in
linguistics I have come across and was very lay-oriented, which has not often
been the case before when I have heard him talk on linguistics. I'm quite sure
you will treasure both DU6 and 7. If you are not sure whether you will want to
keep the tapes, you may order them and view them, then return them if you
choose (a donation to cover postage would be appreciated).