CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prplerain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:47:53 EST
I was also in Cuba last summer and I am very much in agreement with the author
of that post.  The most striking thing about the political system in Cuba is
how much it truly represents the people.  Unlike this country, political
representation doesn't hinge on how much wealth/power you have.  A simple
farmer who lives out in the countryside has as much say as anyone else.
Although it sounds very repressive to only have one political party, the truth
is that the spectrum of ideologies represented is far greater than it is in
this country, partially because the candidates don't have to worry about
offending some members of their party the way Democrats and Republicans do
here.  When I was in Cuba I actually went out of my way to try to find people
who were discontent with the political system or felt they were politically
oppressed.  I had the same experience as the author of the posting; I spoke to
several people who were unhappy about the state of Cuba's economy and wanted
to leave for economic reasons, but when you asked them about the actual
political system, they seem very satisfied with it.  As for those who wanted
to emigrate to America, I was quick to remind them that even though they may
feel america is a land of opportunity and it would be easy to make it
here,they shouldn't underestimate how wonderful it is to have the government
provide you housing(there are virtually no homeless people in Cuba), health
care, and education.  It's a trade off really.  You have more than 2 pairs of
pants and your food isn't rationed, but at the same time when I think of how
much I have spent on medical bills and college tuition, it blows my mind.  As
for the communist party I think the author explained it very well, it is more
of a moral organization than a political party.  To be involved in the party
is a sign of your patriotism and revolutionary spirit.  My only complaint
about the communist party is that they still don't accept openly gay members.
Cuba isn't generally very homophobic, they tend to just look the other way,
with the exception of the rule about the communist party.  However when I
asked an openly gay man about the punishment for gay bashers in Cuba, he just
gave me a puzzled look and said "that kind of thing doesn't happen here."
Sorry this post was so long, I just got started and I couldn't stop.  Hope it
was somewhat informative.