CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Norman Mikalac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:04:29 -0500
very interesting citation, but somewhat incomplete.

we know how the elite Framers felt about the Articles, but I always
wondered how the "common man (and woman)" ("commoners", "rabble", "the
masses", "the little people") felt about the concentration of power at
the state legislative level under the Articles (10 years from 1776 to
1787).  it seems we need to know about commoner opinions about the
Articles because if the commoners disliked it as much as the elite, then
the case for the Constitution becomes more compelling as a "democratic"
charter.  if, OTOH, the commoners preferred the Articles to the
Constitution, but were trumped by the elite, then the author presents a
better case for the Constituion being strictly a way of preventing the
poor from usurping the rich.

anyone out there know how the commoners felt about living under the
Articles, or know references thereof?

thanks,

norm