CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fred Welfare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:20:08 -0500
In a message dated 97-11-14 15:45:38 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<  a conscious decision was made during the post-war reconstruction period
   to rebuild Europe on an oil-fired base. IF this is true, and I say IF,
   then the subsequent middle east oil situation would seem to be a   direct
 consequence of this decision. Is this the case, or is another
   scenario a better description? Your comments are hereby invited [so far
   as i am allowed to extend such an invitation to you].

I would grant this is the case, but this is not the only consideration.  We
have the problem of a government in Iraq that also waged an insidious war
with Iran, makes chemical weapons and nuclear weapons.  This is obviously a
major threat.  Also, this country is not cooperative in terms of
international relations.  Hence, war.
But, what I think is even more important that al of this empirical stuff is
what is going to happen when the government changes in Iraq.  I think, just a
hunch, that something more is being aimed at. There are strategic issues
being sorted out that the public is not aware of and it has to do with the
aftermath of Saddam Hussein.