CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 00:51:38 -0400
Hey Jay -

Cool with the footnotes going directly to links. Really didn't need to
footnote "objective". I agree that it is necessary to put our resources to
work for us in a planned fashion, and will grant that your claim that the
earth is close to, or over, carrying capacity is probably true. However, to
liken Marxism (which is essentially a method of taking the lessons of
history and using them to accomplish what you advocate) to the magical
belief in the market that is the official line right now puts you further
from a solution to the problems you describe (and trust me, it is only a
line...all this crap about competition and free access to markets, etc.,
etc., is for public consumption. ZILLIONS are made handling mergers;
governments spend a hell of a lot of time manipulating access to markets,
restricing the right and/or ability of workers to come to the table and
bargain freely, etc., etc.)  And what is with your aversion to naming the
beast? Capitalism, not "neo-classical economics" or any other pseudonym.

Don DeBar