From:
Deborah Holladay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Holladay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:59:16 -0400

On Tuesday, September 16, 2008, the US Food and Drug Administration issued
a warning to Ranbaxy, an Indian company that makes generic drugs, and
imposed an import alert on drugs coming into the US from two of the
company’s facilities.  The action was due to the manufacturer’s non-
compliance with Good Manufacturing Practice requirements and improper
record-keeping (such as “Inaccurate written records of the cleaning and use
of major equipment”).  At this time, the FDA is not pulling Ranbaxy’s products
from pharmacy shelves as it believes that supplies of Ranbaxy drugs currently
in the US are safe.  However, WebMD points out, “This is the second time in
less than three years that the FDA has issued a warning letter to Ranbaxy,”
which indicates that the company has had problems in the past.
The FDA reports that “Ranbaxy is one of the largest foreign suppliers of
generic drugs to the United States.”

In light of the recent ban, I considered a look in our home medicine cabinet to
be warranted.  Despite the FDA’s assurance of the safety of Ranbaxy drugs
already in the US, I planned to ask my doctor for a replacement from another
manufacturer if I found Ranbaxy products in my house, especially since
inadequate sterilization and cross-contamination were two of the FDA’s
complaints against the company.  Although I found one generic drug matching
the name of a product on the FDA ban list, the manufacturer of our
prescription was Apotex, a Canadian company.  The pharmacy had included
supplier information on their printed label.  Had the information not been on
the label, I could have called the pharmacist to find out the manufacturer.

You can see the FDA report and find a link to the banned drug list at
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01886.html.
If you prefer something a little easier to read and understand, try these links:
http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/09/16/ranbaxy-fda-generic-markets-
equity-cx_lal_0916markets39.html
http://www.webmd.com/news/20080916/import-alert-for-2-generic-drug-
plants?src=RSS_PUBLIC
http://www.pharmaceuticalonline.com/article.mvc/FDA-Issues-Warning-
Letters-To-Ranbaxy-0001?atc~c=771+s=773+r=001+l=a&VNETCOOKIE=NO

Deborah Holladay
Alamo Celiac GIG Membership Database