From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:32:16 -0700

Hi everyone -
Our celiac daughter, diagnosed in 2003, keeps having symptoms - nausea,
acid stomach, other abdominal pain, headaches, joint pain - that seem
to be associated to more and more foods.  We have been to many, many
doctors, naturopaths, osteopaths, acupuncturists, nutritionists -
without relief - and so are trying to figure this out on our own.

She knows she feels worse eating gluten (no surprise), dairy, eggs,
brown rice - and now suspects that the nightshade family also
contributes to her pain (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers).  I
have been reading about lectin and these foods contain lectins that
apparently can cause some people problems.  Anyone know about this or
have experiences to share?  If you are interested in knowing more, do a
google search with the words: sullivan, lectin.  You will find "The
Lectin Report"  by Kristin Sullivan that has made me suspect that
lectins are part of her problem.

My current challenge is to find a bread recipe that does not contain
potato or corn starch (corn may have problematic lectins as well).  I
had been using the Kinnickknick bread but it contains eggs; then Bob's
Red Mill Wonderful Bread but it contains potato starch.  She loved the
taste of both but felt ill after eating either.

If you don't have a bread recipe, I would be interested in any thoughts
about what and how much to substitute for potato or corn starch in a
recipe.

Thanks for your help.  I will summarize.

Jackie in AZ