From:
DIANE E WILSON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DIANE E WILSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 04:03:52 -0400

Hi,

I apologize for the delay in this summary.  I'll start out with answering a few
questions, then my post, followed by the ideas I received.  Thanks, they sound
great!  Diane

Answers to questions:

I use Mexamerica soft corn tortillas.  I haven't verified their GF status in
some time so please double check.  Available at my major local grocer.

Please double check since corn and flour ones tend to get mixed up.  I found
them in the refrigerated cheese section, not in the Mexican food section.

Yes, I put down 2 tortillas first, then the toppings to help stop mushiness.
One is fine too, though.

Use your imagination, you could do all sorts of things with this, like veggie
pizzas.

My post followed by other ideas:

I just tried making tortilla pizzas the other night and they turned out great.
I just spread my favorite toppings on two corn tortillas and baked them around
325 degrees for 5-10 minutes.  I plan to try freezing them and also putting
cheese between the two tortillas.  Seems like a fun idea to do with kids old
enough to learn to cook.  My non-celiac fiance thought they were a hit.

Also one of my favorites is to wrap a hotdog and a little mexican cheese and
salsa in a corn tortilla and heating.  Surprisingly tasty.

We do the corn tortilla pizza and I have found it to be the best quick pizza
idea yet!  I do use two and spread moz. cheese between the layers, top with
sauce, pepperoni and more cheese and pop in a toaster oven for a few minutes.
I've yet to discover a tasty "real" pizza crust for my GF son, so I rely on
corn tortillas most of the time for his pizzas.

I thought I'd share my pizza.  I use tostada shells.  Brush olive oil on and top
with sauce toppings and cheese.  Microwave 45 seconds.  My husband and I love
them.  So quick and easy!

I make quick meals out of corn tortillas, too. Our favorite is quesadillas, made
by layering corn tortillas (in an electric skillet), top with cooked, cut-up
chicken breast, onions, chopped tomatoes and lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese,
FF sour cream and another corn tortilla. Heat for a couple of minutes with the
lid on (so the cheese will melt), then flip each one over for another couple of
minutes. Take them out and cut each one in fourths with a pizza cutter. All
these guys I live with (two adult sons and a husband, usually considered an
adult around here) will eat them and they are a picky bunch!

Tortillas make great grilled sandwiches.  We used to make a lot of them when the
kids were little & had after-school sports activities.

Butter outsides of tortilla & fill w/ spaghetti sauce & mozarella cheese
Taco meat & yellow cheese.  For mom, refried beans & cheese.

For desert, apple butter & cheddar!

We get tortillas at the local mexican grocery for $.25/package so it's a very
low cost dinner.

For a great breakfast you can heat them in a skillet with a little butter, wrap
around a piece of crispy bacon & a piece of velveeta cheese - I salt & add some
minced onions! Yummy

Here is a family recipe from my wife (who is from Mexico City) for Enchiladas
Acapulcanos. It is a favorite of my children and me and is very simple. Not
like any enchilada you have ever seen.
Ingredients:
Sliced sandwich ham, sliced cheese ( American or kraft sliced Swiss not the real
Swiss with holes), corn tortillas, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, salt, vegetable
oil and toothpicks. For a final garnish we use thick cream and or a crumbly
farmers cheese, sometimes we use Parmesan.
 First put two small cans tomato sauce in the blender with a small onion and a
clove of garlic. Blend till smooth, pour in a medium saucepan and simmer. Add
salt to taste.
In a skillet fry the tortillas in a little oil to soften them only. You will
have a stack of hot greasy tortillas allow six per person. Put a slice of
cheese and a slice of ham in between two tortillas and use toothpicks on two
sides to keep them together. Assemble all the tortillas this way. My family of
5 needs a small mountain, I usually eat six to eight of them. Once the
enchiladas are assembled, fry them again till the cheese gets melty, then lift
it up with a pancake turner and put it into the simmering tomato sauce for  a
minute to soften and then on a plate. It is a process to get one or two frying
while one or two are simmering at the same time to load up the dinner plates.
To finish each plate we pour a drizzle of thick cream over the top, a
scattering of Queso Anejo (aged farmers cheese) and finely minced onion.  You
could use cottage cheese on top as a garnish also.
I use the really thick handmade corn tortillas, especially for the hot dog
wraps-I wrap the tortillas in parchment paper and microwave for just about one
minute-they come out all steamy and soft-just great!. I am lucky enough to be
able to get them in my area: Trader Joe's has some plain thick ones and
Primavera makes the handmade ones with different flavors (chili and cheese,
etc.)