From:
James Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 1995 22:28:00 EST

Pat W. wrote:

> Does anyone out there have a good ice cream cone recipe?

We've tasted this recipe, so we can vouch for its good flavor.  We got
this recipe from a member of a local support group.  We haven't tried
making it yet (waiting for warmer weather)

           Ice Cream Cones (makes 6-8 cones)

heavy duty foil
1 large egg
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. oil
dash of salt
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. GF vanilla
1/4 cup corn starch

To Make Cone Forms:

Cut foil into 9"x9" squares.  Fold diagonally to make double triangles.
Smooth.  Using the center of each triangle's folded edge as the point
of the cone, start to roll the foil into cone-shaped forms.

To Make Batter:

Beat eggs slightly.  Continue beating and add sugar, oil, and salt,
until batter is thick and light colored.  Set aside.

Combine water, vanilla, and corn starch until smooth.  Stir this into
the egg mixture.

Have a large, flat surface covered with wax paper ready.  Lightly
grease a griddle, large skillet, or electric fry pan.  Heat until a
drop of water will bounce around when dropped on the pan.  Spoon the
batter onto the pan.  Tilt the pan back and forth to make a very thin
pancake about 4" in diameter.  Cook at low heat until it is firm
enough to dislodge in one piece.  Turn over.  It is not necessary to
brown the pancake as long as it is cooked until firm.

Using a fork to help handle the hot pancake, roll it onto the prepared
foil form until a cone is formed.  Set it aside with the loose end
down on a wire rack.  Do not remove the foil form.  When all the
batter has been made into pancakes and cones, place it into an oven
at 250 degrees F to dry out and brown slightly.  This will take 45-90
minutes.

When thoroughly crisped, remove from oven and store in an airtight
container in the refrigerator or freezer.

Getting the pancakes to dislodge in one piece is sometimes hard to do,
but by the time you are finished with the batter, you will have
mastered the technique.  The broken pancakes can be dried out and
used as pieces in a bowl of ice cream.  When rolling into forms make
sure the point is tightly wrapped or folded, so the ice cream doesn't
drip out.

--- Vicki Lyles ([log in to unmask]) ---
--------- Holly, Michigan, USA -------------