Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:35:39 -0600

Hi All--

Thanks to everyone who came to my rescue on convection toaster ovens for GF
baking. My original question was requesting information on convection
toaster ovens and whether or not they are good for GF baking - especially
bread. I also asked specifically about the Cooks brand sold at JC
Penney. Following are the responses I received. I might add here that I
finally found a convection toaster oven large enough to bake a loaf of
bread, but the size kicked the price up a bit (I missed all of the
before-the-holiday sales). I settled on an Oster digital convection toaster
oven, double rack, curved door. I haven't yet baked a loaf of bread, but
otherwise, it's easy to operate and I love it. Thanks, again, for everyone's
help....
_____
I know from experience with convection ovens in a food service setting that
for gluten free items (and everything else) you need to lower the
temperature of the recipe by anywhere from 25*F to as much as 50*F. Gluten
free items tend to brown better and more evenly, especially if they are
turned partway through baking. Baking times may also be shorter. Let me know
if there are any other variables once you've tried it.
_____
 I bought a convection toaster oven at Wal Mart a couple of months ago - on
sale cheap for $38. I think it is General Electric. Speeds things up a bit -
maybe 1/3 faster. Bakes, broils, toasts. I like it.
_____
Euro Pro is not made well.
_____
I know nothing about the Cook's but I have an Oster convection/toaster oven
and love it.  I haven't made bread in it (I have a breadmaker) but don't see
why it wouldn't work. The thing I like about this oven is that the front
door is slightly curved out and will bake a good sized pizza. My daughter
has a Euro-pro and is very happy with it also except the door is not curved.
I got mine for $49 at a Costco store. Hope this is of some help.
_____

Last year just before we began remodeling our kitchen my oven quit working.
I purchased the Euro Pro toaster oven with the convection heating since we
didn't want to put money into the old stove when we were going to remodel.
I got through Thanksgiving and Christmas with minimal baking using that
toaster oven.  The only problem is that if you are baking a loaf of bread
there is not enough room in it for when the loaf rises.  I use the mixes
like Manna from Anna (I know she changed her name but can't think of the new
name) Gluten Free Pantry bread mix and also the Bob's Red Mill mix for
breads and I have a stone bread pan from Pampered Chef (which by the way I
would recommend if you aren't trying to bake in a toaster oven.  The other
"con" for using the toaster oven for a complete meal is that you can't do
more than one oven type dish at a time so I would start cooking supper way
early to get through it all if that is the kind of food we were eating.  I
ended up for the turkey at the holiday meals using crock pots for the turkey
pieces.  It all worked out and I continued using it until our kitchen was
back in business again which was about May.  You can probably understand
that I put that toaster oven away and really don't want to see it again too
soon.  I wish I lived closer and you could have mine.  It is totally GF but
put away out of sight.  So I cooked for a family of 3 adults (always GF) for
several months.  It can be done.

_____

I bought a Cooks brand toaster oven for my office and think it's
underpowered. It works okay which is why I kept it instead of going to the
hassle of returning it after I'd used it but I would not purchase another.
_____
We recently got a Sharp Convection microwave and baked really yummy gf
banana bread and even a pumpkin pie in it! Also broiled chicken in it. It's
wonderful and convection baking is great!
_____
I have the black & decker convection toaster oven & it bakes bread
wonderfully & also makes toast.  It's large enough for a 12" pizza pan to
fit inside (comes w/the oven).  hope this helps.
_____
Hi I just bought the same toaster oven (Euro Pro) in white at MAcys. We love
it. It also has teh oven which is  plus with kids. Easy to heat up there
food quickly. And it is on slae at a good price. Last week it was 39.99 at
Target Store. HTH