Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 15:01:16 -0400

Hi,

I got some interesting tips from fellow list members regarding the
use of cornstarch when cooking gluten free. I was concerned about
how fast bread dries out and wondered if the cornstarch made it
worse.

Lucy from the Gluten Free Kitchen said she had more problems
with rolls drying out when she used cornstarch instead of rice flour.

From Paul at Mr. Ritts:
The best recommendations that I can make, and do to our clients,
is to be sure that any "open" edges, those without a crust or
frosting, be sure to cover with saran wrap or some kind of cling
plastic.  I also tell people that whatever they can do to keep air
away from these products, the longer they last. It is the oxygen in
the air that stales most items, and In many cases I tell people to
wrap tightly and double bag, especially if freezing. Freezing draws
moisture out of products (frost inside the freezer comes from more
than just the outside air).

Others suggested the following...

Add a tablespoon of mayo to the batter.  Do remember to beat
it well after the cornstarch has been added, unlike what you do with
wheat flours. You can also add an extra egg

I immediately slice my bread after it has cooled and put each slice
in an individual "baggie" and freeze them.  That is the only way I
know to keep them tasting "fresh."

I  portion the bread or cakes and put waxed paper between the
slices and freeze them.  I put the slice in microwave or toaster
when needed.  Its always fresh.

Seal it tightly in Ziplock bags with a piece of apple.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond!

Warm wishes,
Lani K. Thompson

visit our webpage at:
http://www.clanthompson.com