From:
Debbie Fusco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:32:50 -0700

In my post listing ideas for kids snacks, I listed several
cereals my kids eat regularly.  I have received 3 replies
indicating that these cereals are not GF.  My kids have
eaten these cereals daily without any gluten reactions.

First, the ones I consider not even questionable:
   Puffed Rice and Puffed Corn, the only possible problem
   with these is cross-contamination which is something
   we live with in all commercial foods.

Next, the ones listing malt flavoring.  The information
   we received from our physician and dietician is
   that malt flavoring is generally GF while malt syrup
   is not.  I definitely avoid all products with malt
   syrup.  If someone knows differently, I'd be interested
   in hearing.

Post Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles do not list malt flavouring
   or syrup on the label.  These cereals are published
   in the Denver Metro Chapter's Commercial Product List.

I followed the discussion on Kellogg's Corn Pops earlier
   this year.  What I gathered from this and my own discussion
   with Kelloggs was that the ingredients are GF, but the
   cereal is made on a line which also makes gluten containing
   products.  There is certainly a chance for cross-
   contamination.  Whether or not you are willing to chance
   that you will get one of the first boxes off the line
   when they make a transition from a gluten cereal to
   a GF one is a decision each one of us must make for
   ourselves.  This whole discussion centered around
   cross-contamination and never even mentioned the malt
   flavouring listed on the label.  This same line of thinking
   should apply to Crispix and Frosted Flakes.

Also, I generally buy the store brand versions of Corn Pops
   and Frost Flakes.  I've called the manufacturers who
   said they were GF.  (I even think the Malt-o-Meal version
   of Corn Pops "called Corn Bursts" doesn't contain malt
   flavouring, I don't have the package in front of me,
   so you would need to check it out yourself)

Debbie,  Fort Collins, Colorado, USA