From:
Roshan A. Khosravi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:25:18 -0700

I want to thank you all for your responses!  They have
been helpful.  Some suggestions I cannot use, but
others might be able too.  I have also received a few
good recipies if anyone is interested, please e-mail
me.

Roshan

It's very difficult to make such foods from scratch.

Have you tried Miss Roben's (www.missroben.com) or
Gluten Free Pantry(www.glutenfree.com)?  I think those
internet addresses are correct.

***

They sell many mixes and premade items without the
ingredients you listed.

***

I've given up on bread...I think they are all
horrible.  For meatloaf, meatballs etc...I use a cup
of plain yogurt [can be cow or goat's milk] in place
of eggs and bread crumbs.  Makes a wonderfully moist
product.

***

I have CD and my daughter, who does not, is allergic
to eggs.  She has successfully substituted plain
non-fat yogurt for eggs in many recipes.  Since I am
not allergic to eggs, I have not tried it with the GF
flours, but it could be worth a try.

***

I only cook GF (for my celiac daughter). However, I
love the Carol Fenster recipes (www.savorypalate.com).

 All of the recipes
have substitutions in them so they can be adjusted for
a multitude of diets.  I have no interest in the
company, just a fan.  You may want to check it out.

***

There is a great cookbook by Roben Ryberg called "The
Gluten Free Kitchen".  It uses just corn starch and
potato starch as the "flours".

The breads in the book are pretty good.  I especially
like the Buttermilk bread recipe.  I have altered it a
bit for it to be dairy
free.  I use DariFree in all of my cooking.  It is a
potato-based milk,
in case you have never heard of it.  I just add 1
tablespoon lemon juice to the DariFree instead of
using buttermilk.  You can
omit the yeast in all of her recipes (except one I
think).  They still
taste good.  The bread recipe doesn't have eggs in it
at all.  Also, if
you don't know already, you can use coconut oil and
whip it and use
it in recipes instead of shortening.  You use slightly
less of the
coconut oil, about 3/4 the original amount.  So, 1 cup
shortening would
equal 3/4 cup coconut oil.  Also, the best thing I
have found to
replace eggs is a mixture of gelatin and egg replacer.

 The gelatin sort of evens out the dryness of the egg
replacer.  If you are interested in this, let me know
and I will get the exact amount of gelatin needed for
each egg.

***

did you try miss robens web?  it's missroben.com

***

Check out the recipe books by Carol Fenster, and
related books by her company the Silver Palate.

***

The best thing I have found is Carol Fenster's Special
Diet Solutions, a cookbook for all the requirements
you list, which I share.  You can order it on-line
from her website, which you can find simply via any
celiac resource.

***

I use egg replacer frequently and it works fine for
me. Nothing can ever be a real substitute for an egg,
close but not exact. You might
try  looking into diabetic cookbooks for ideas. I just
replace wheat with gf flour and they seem to work
great.

***

Someone told me to use pysillium husks as a possible
egg replacer. Haven't tried it yet.

***

Try Carol Fenster's book,  Special Diet Solutions
which is written for healthy cooking without wheat,
gluten, dairy, eggs, yeast or refined sugar.  If you
can't or don't want to buy a copy, try your library,
they may have it. Hope this helps, good luck.

***

I have had wonderful results using plain gelatin for
replacing eggs,( one packet=1 T,per egg, mixed w/dry
ingredients) also using baking powder to replace
yeast.  Hope that helps!!  Good Luck

***

Carol Fenster has several books with substitutions in
them.  Look through them in the bookstores or see if
you can check them out of the
library  to see if they will work for you.   Chebe
Bread is pretty good
too and very versatile but it may have some lactose in
it.

***

The Gluten Free Gourmet (revised edition) has a
wonderful recipe for Rhubarb Crumble (that also
works for peaches and other fruits), but this recipe
only works if you can tolerate butter (which I can).

***

I have been experimenting with Hawaiian POI as an egg
replacer.  It is GF, Fat free, cholesterol free, and
is working.  It is now available dehydrated, and I am
working out the exact formula per egg, but it's about
1/2 tablespoon.

***

Try products from Ener-G.  They are pretty good with
multiple food allergy foods.

***

Most baking problems start when substituting eggs or
fats. Eggs are a challenge to substitute. In baking,
eggs provide richness, color, protein, and tenderness.

When beaten, egg whites provide extra volume and air.

Eggs also create leavening (or rise) and/or binding.

The trick is figuring out the purpose the egg serves
in your recipe - is it binding, leavening, or both?

A general rule of thumb is to look at the number of
eggs required in the recipe. If the recipe calls for 1
egg, typically it serves as a binder. In this case,
most any egg substitute will work. Some possibilities
(for one egg substitution) include:

 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 3 tablespoons warm
water, OR

1 tablespoon unflavored, unsweetened gelatin plus 3
tablespoons warm water, OR

1/4 cup ground soft tofu, OR

3 tablespoons pureed fruit or vegetables.

If the recipe uses 2-3 eggs or more, the eggs
provide leavening. Several good substitutes
(measurements are for one egg)include:

1 heaping tablespoon Ener-G Food Egg Replacer(r) plus
2 tablespoons warm water, OR

1 teaspoon low sodium baking powder, 1 tablespoon
oil plus 1 tablespoon warm water, OR

1 teaspoon low sodium baking powder, 1 tablespoon
cider or apple vinegar plus 1 tablespoon warm water.

When in doubt, assume that eggs are in the recipe to
provide leavening, and use the second set of
substitutes. More than 3 eggs may be difficult or
impossible to substitute successfully. And in some
cases (e.g., angel food cake and some brownie mixes),
only real eggs will work, so check the recipe or box
for details.

More About Leavening
When incorporated in a recipe, baking powder and/or
yeast create leavening by giving off carbon-dioxide
gas that gets trapped in the dough. Without a
mechanism (like a gluten structure) to trap the
gases, little to no leavening can occur. Hence, the
"door stop" bread.  Any baked goods that use yeast can
be successfully created using an appropriate amount of
baking powder instead. What you give up is the
yeast-like taste.   If you use  wheat-free/gluten-free
flour, you need to create a mechanism in the dough to
trap the leavening gases. That's where a high-powered
(over 220 watt), stand-up mixer with a batter beater
attachment comes in. Beating air into the dough gives
the leavening products a place to release the gases
and allows for leavening to occur. If you're sensitive
 to corn, and can't use commercial baking powder, make
your own. (See below.)

Egg Substitute Recipes For One Egg That Provide
Leavening-
 Ip 1 heaping tablespoon Egg-Replacer(r) plus 2
tablespoons warm water.

 1 teaspoon low sodium baking powder*, 1&1/2
tablespoon water, plus 1& 1/2  tablespoons oil.

 1 teaspoon low sodium baking powder*, 1 tablespoon
warm water, and 1 tablespoon cider or rice vinegar.

 *Note:  If a corn-free baking powder is needed, use:

1 heaping tablespoon of the following mixture:

 -1/3 cup baking soda

 -2/3 cup cream of tartar

 -2/3 cup arrowroot starch
 Blend flours well and store in airtight container.