From:
Susan Wagener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:28:28 EDT

Dear Listmates:

I have waited several months to share this with the list because I wanted to
be sure I was doing well. I have been seeing a Chinese doctor who has "fixed"
a diarrhea problem I had and 5 weeks after I started seeing him, he also
"fixed" the celiac disease. I can eat gluten grains without any problem
whatsoever now.

I considered myself a classic celiac. I started having digestive problems 17
years before the problem was identified including diarrhea on and off. At age
47, I became extremely ill with constant diarrhea for 3 months. A colonoscopy
and stool sample showed nothing but I was extremely ill and losing weight
rapidly. The day I eliminated all gluten from my diet I started getting
better. This was 5 years ago. I considered myself a very sensitive celiac.
Many times I became ill only to discover afterwards that there was, in fact,
hidden gluten in what I had eaten.

I went to the Chinese doctor because I started having some digestive problems
again and nothing else seemed to be helping. A friend (not a celiac) said she
had gotten help with diarrhea by getting acupuncture treatments. I have been
seeing Dr. Deng since January. My digestion improved steadlily and after 5
weeks Dr. Deng told me to eat wheat. I was nervous about doing this but I had
zero reaction to the wheat. My digestive system is continuing to improve and
I am better than I have been in years now. I can eat normally--fast food,
desserts, breads etc.

The doctor I have been seeing is Dean Deng-- a Chinese MD who practices
Traditional Chinese Medicine including herbs, acupuncture and Qi Gong. He is
located in Lake Forest, Illinois 50 miles north of Chicago near the lake.
Address: 222 Wisconsin Ave., Suite 111, Lake Forest, IL 60045. His phone
#847-615-1516.

An excellent site to go to to learn more about Traditional Chinese Medicine
is www.acupuncture.com. You can get much better info. there than I could give
you on this topic.

I know some will be skeptical about this and I was too, but I have a very
sensitive body and I cannot ignore the evidence. I am not recommending this
for anyone and my guess is that the healing partially depends on the
individual. Acupuncture is partially art and not just science, I think. It
won't hurt you except maybe in your pocketbook. Our insurance doesn't cover
it and it has been expensive for me but worth it. Initially, I had to see Dr.
Deng 4 days a week and now I am down to one day per week. I am happy to
answer questions but I would appreciate it if you didn't send me any warnings
about the risks. I have been a member of the list for at least 3 years (maybe
4) and am very well educated about celiac disease. I trust my body and Dr.
Deng. He has treated at least one other celiac and many people with other
food allergies.  --Susan In Chicago