From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 17:37:10 -0600

Mon, 26 May 1997 15:53:46 -0600, Sherill Roberts said:

>Andrew - the way celiac can be fatal is the same way that children can die
>of starvation. If it's not the actual lack of nutrients that kills them,
>they can be carried off by illness that strikes them down in their
>weakened condition. In my case, as a baby, it was a kidney infection on
>top of the starvation.

To add to Sherill's comments, a fellow list member was kind enough to send
me a copy of an Oct., 1899 report, by Dr. R.A. Gibbons, a colleague of Dr.
S. Gee's. In fact, Gibbons mentions consulting with Dr. Gee, on one of the
cases reported. The following is a direct quote from that paper:

  "Prognosis - Unfortunately this is usually grave, and the majority of
children suffering from this disease die. I have, however, with the
exception of one, in the cases that have come under my observation, had the
good fortune to witness their improvement; and I think it was partly due to
the careful nursing that they had in their own homes, and to the fact that
they have been the children of people who have been well off, and who have
been able to give them everything that has been ordered, regardless of
expense."

Gibbons RA, "THE COELIAC AFFECTION IN CHILDREN," _Edinburgh Med. Journ._
1889; 35: 4, p.321 and following.

Best Wishes,
Ron
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/hoggan/