From:
Mollie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 15:58:40 EDT

when i read the post summarizing gluten-free shampoos, i saw another number
for proctor and gamble from the one printed on my head and shoulders bottle.
so i called and had a long talk with the representative who was very
informative.

she said that p &g had made the policy change a few weeks ago after checking
with other manufacturers and being encouraged by them to make the change to
withhold information from customers requesting gluten-free status.

she said they felt as if they were making errors in stating whether the
products were gluten-free due to the large number of ingredients. and so will
research it for a physician but not a customer.

when i questioned process of the doctor stopping to see patients to write a
letter vs the doctor's patient calling directly, i got the distinct
impression that this new process had the potential to significantly lesson
the number of requests for the information....and that this was a factor in
the decision. (this is my impression based on what she said about there being
a lot of requests from customers, but my impression only.)

i told her that this was a serious medical issue for persons with celiac and
that there is a significant number of persons with this diagnosis. she said
they were aware of that. i also said that there was some concern in the
celiac community about this decision on the part of p&g. i also described my
helpful conversation today with lever, a direct competitor.

she said she would relay my point of view on. i replied that i thought that
there was some way the two sides could work together to resolve this.

mollie