From:
Anne Rickaby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:10:22 -0500

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all your responses on cooking w/coconut milk.

I got a number of responses (and a recipe - below)

   Many people warned about the high fat content. (But I'd only use it for
      an occasional special treat, so I'm not too worried about that.)
   Some folks suggested diluting 1:1 with water.
   One person commented that "Coconut milk is sweeter than cows milk so you
      have to compensate by reducing the amount of sugar in your recipe."
   One person warned that I "be sure to determine  how the coconut milk is
      made (that is, has ordinary milk been mixed with the coconut to make
      it richer)." Good reminder. I have Thai Kitchen pure coconut milk,
      which has nothing added.
   A couple of people have used it successfully as a substitute for cow's
      milk in pumpkin pie (which is exactly what I want to do!!!)
   Several people have used it in Asian dishes successfully, but not in
      western baking.
   One warning for anyone who wants to use it to make an ice cream
      substitute - "Coconut milk doesn't freeze like ordinary milk so it
      doesn't work well for making icecream.  The result is waxy and
      unpleasant after it freezes solid." (I'm so glad I don't really
      like ice cream...)
   There's a Web page at http://www.panix.com/~nomilk/coconut.txt dedicated
      to using coconut milk (thanks to Don !)
   One person recommended a product called Darifree, which is a
      potato-based dairy substitute. (Although, at this point, after having
      such a bad experience with Rice Dream, I'm wary of anything that's
      not "pure.")

If I get any new information, I'll let you know. I'll also pass along
anything I discover in my cooking "experiments."

Thanks everyone!

Anne

RECIPE: ASIAN TAPIOCA PUDDING

3 1/2 C  unsweetened coconut milk
2/3 C small pearl tapioca or quick cooking tapioca (I use Minute Tapioca)
2/3 C sugar (or less, I have also used brown sugar and Suanat with fine
   results)
1 vanilla bean split lengthwise (or I t vanilla extract)
pince salt
1 large egg, separated

     In a heavy nonreactive saucepan, combine coconut milk, tapioca, sugar
vanilla bean and salt (but not vanilla extract, if you are using that) over
low heat.  Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until tapioca pearls are
translucent - about 10 minutes.  Be careful not to let it scorch.  If it
seems lumpy, use a whisk on it.
     Vigorously stir in egg yolk (and vanilla extract, if using that),
remove from heat.  Cover and let stand til lukewarm - 30-60 min.
     Remove the vanilla bean and scrape seeds into the pudding, stir.  In a
small bowl, beat the egg white until it forms stiff peaks.  Fold it into
the lukewarm pudding.  Chill or serve warm.  It is good served with thinly
sliced orange rounds on top.