From:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:33:54 -0600

I've been making waffles for several years, and they always come out great. You have to cook gfwaffles somewhat longer than regular waffles to get the excess moisture out. On my (admittedlycheap) new waffle iron, they take about 7 minutes. I generally use one of the two followingrecipes, both adapted from the Joy of Cooking.

GF Sour Cream Buckwheat Waffles (based on Sour Cream Waffles from the 1971 printing of the Joy ofCooking, p.217)

First--the Rombauers note that waffle batter is not like pancake batter. Because you neither grease nor wash (after conditioning) a waffle iron, the batter requires enough fat to keep the wafflesfrom sticking, and to make them crisp. This is true even with a non-stick waffle iron. Don't washit after every use. Just wipe down with a damp rag as needed. To condition the new iron, follow the directions that came with it. After that, just brush lightly with cooking oil before starting toheat it. I use peanut oil, but almost any oil that can take high heat will do. I stay away fromcanola because I think it tastes bad fresh, and worse when cooked, but that's a personalpreference. Finally, waffle batters are much thicker than pancake batters--generally so thick theycan just barely be poured from a measuring cup onto the iron.

Now, the recipe.
1/2 c gf flour--made from 1/4 c buckwheat, 1/4 c mixed montina, sorghum, and sweet rice flour
1 tsp (roughly--play with this until you get the texture you like) ground flax seed
2/3 tsp baking powderpinch kosher salt or sea salt (table salt does not dissolve properly in most recipes)
1/2 tsp sugar (I prefer turbinado, brown sugar, or sucanat)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 c full fat sour cream (preferably a brand with no gums or starches, such as Daisy or Breakstone)

Mix the dry ingredients together. Beat the egg until light. Beat the sour cream into the egg. Addthe dry ingredients and whisk together.

When the iron is hot, pour about 1/4 c of batter on each waffle square (you may need more,depending on the size of your iron). Cook until steam stops coming out of the edges of the iron,and the iron opens easily (about 7 minutes).
Makes enough waffles for 2 adults

GF Kefir Buckwheat Waffles:

1 cup buckwheat flour mix (same proportions as above, just double it)
1 tbs ground flax seed
1/8 tsp baking soda
2/3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sugar (as above, turbinado, brown, or sucanat)
1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
1 egg
7/8 c plain kefir (I used to use Lifeway Prostokvasha style, but can't find it in the stores now, so have switched to Bazarnyi. Just use one with as little gum as possible, and no added inuln, pectin, or gelatin. These additions affect the texture of the finished product, and not in a good way. I now see Prostokvasha under the Fresh Made brand online at , but haven't tried ordering from them.) (If you can't find plain kefir, use plain yogurt, again with no added thickeners, and thin it somewhat with water or milk. I use Nancy's nonfat most of the time. Brown Cow full-fat works well, but their nonfat has a kind of chalky texture. Stonyfield doesn't work, because they add pectin and inulin as thickeners.)3 tbs melted butter

Mix dry ingredients together. Beat egg until light. Whisk in kefir. Add dry ingredients and whisktogether. Whisk in melted butter.

Cook as above. Let me know if you have questions about these recipes--I'll do what I can to clarify them.
Best, Joe EllisonChicago, [log in to unmask]
----------------------

Generally waffles with higher fat will be crispier. Since I really like lower fat, I put a little corn meal in the waffles. Vic
---------------------
Here is a recipe that our family loves--and yes, they are crispy.
1 cup rice flour or 1/2 cup of rice flour; 1/2 cup of potato starch
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt1
1/4 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oilSift dry ingredients.
Combine buttermilk,oil, and eggs; add to flour mixture. Beat just until blended. Bake on waffle iron or make pancakes on a hot griddle
---------------------
I remember back before my  diagnosis, I used to make waffles and pancakes--but not the same recipe.  Waffles take more oil in the ingredients.  How long do you leave the waffle in the iron?  Leave it in an extra 30 seconds.
Betty
--------------------

We use Pamela's Pancake Mix for our waffles, which does contain tapioca starch.  Our waffles are crispy, but once they cool they become soggy.  What we do at this point is either refrigerate or freeze the leftovers, which we have cooked through but not browned in the waffle iron.  Then when we reheat them, we toast them, making them crispy again.  So I wonder whether toasting your waffles after making them in the waffle iron would help?  Good luck to you.
-Mary
------------------

I use Pamela's pancake mix and have crispy waffles. Perhaps your waffleiron needs to "break in", but also, perhaps, it didn't get hot enough. Ihave a pancake/waffle recipe that uses pumpkin or sweet potatoes that isdelicious. If you want it, reply. Don & Carol Salvati
------------------

I use the recipe that came with my OLD OLD waffle maker...eventhough I have a new one now. I have used both Bob's Red Mill Pancake mix for the flour as well as GF Pantry's Country Frech Bread and pizza dough. I think Bob's has Tapioca so you should try the other or even your own. I have found that the process is what helps the waffles to be very light and crispy instead of dense and soggy. Here is my very simple recipe. It is funny because I just made them yesterday and smothered them in warm blueberries YUM!! Here you go...

one and three fourths Cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
one half tsp salt
1 TBL sugar
3 eggs (separated)
7 TBLs veg oil
1 and a half Cup milk

Mix dry together. Separted eggs and add yolks, oil, and milk together into dry and stir until there are no lumps. Whip whites until fluffy and light peaks then fold into rest. (I add a bit first to mix and then fold in the rest) Thats it!!

I have a family waffle iron that makes 4 at a time and it takes just over a cup for each batch. Another note, I use oil on the waffle iron to keep it from sticking instead of a non stick spray. For some reason I find they come out crispier, I think the spray has water in it and causes more steam than I prefer. Also, I make several batches and freeze them in 2 packs in a ziplock baggies. They toast very well in the toaster. Good Luck and enjoy!!! Kristi