From:
Beverly Ann Handlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 06:57:24 -0700

           Your letter to the list is a painful point with me.  My
grandmother suffered from severe dementia for twenty years before she
died.  She also suffered from itchy skin rashes all her life, and
various neuroses etc.  I am the only one diagnosed with CD in my
family.  Two years ago when I was diagnosed, my parents went to their
primary care physician, and asked them if they should receive
serological testing.  (This doctor is the chief of staff at a large
hospital in California.)  He laughed at them and told them they were
"too old" to be diagnosed with CD.  Since he told them that, my parents
refuse to look at any opposing information that I give them.
            My dad (age 69) presently suffers from magnesium and B
vitamin dificiencies, and has recently developed uncontrollable shaking
in his hands.  His stomach keeps getting bigger and bigger.  I am
frustrated and angry that this supposed "onformed physician"has
committed my father to this reduced (and possibly shortened) quality of
life.  He was an eminent attorney before retiring, but believes he
should defer to the kxperts."  I should also note that my younger
sister had Diabetes Mellitus before dying of flu complications at age
17.  My father,and remaining sister take thyroid supplements, and my
mom and I had hyperthyroidism and Grave's disease.  I also have
hypoparathyroidism.  You would think that with all these autoimmune
things going on in my immediate family, that a doctor would at LEAST
refer my parents and older sister for serological testing for Celiac
Disease.  All have inquired, and none have been advised by their
physicians to be tested.  I am seeing them all this weekend, and will
bring along any responses that I receive from list-members.  I would be
especially interested in comments by those in the medical community.
          Thanks to all of you for any help you can provide.  I will
let you know what happens!
                               Beverly Handlan