Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 18:47:31 -0500

Part III
Just read your email, I was losing calcium in my urine about 2 years ago. I have severe osteoporosis and my endo put me on Forteo for it. I did the 24 hour urine test several times.  She put me on 12.5 mg of HCTZ (Hydrochlorothiazide) without the blood pressure medicine included. I also take a blood pressure medicine, Toprol XL. But the plain meds did the trick and my urine test have been okay since I started it. I notice no side effects from this med except an increase in urination, but that was not as bad as I thought it would be. Good luck
+++++++++++++++
Interesting the you are having the same problem as my husband is or
has in the past. Our oldest daughter has Celiac and my husband and I
both have been tested - both neg (maybe the blood test wasn't
accurate - I don't know). However, my husband got tested for
osteoporosis and he was osteopenic. His urine also showed he was
loosing quite a bit of Calcium. He went on the med HCTZ (calcium
sparing drug) even though his BP is also very low. He was on that for
6 months or more, then had his urine tested and it came back normal -
no excretion of excess Calcium. So we do believe it helped. The HCTZ
did not lower is BP any lower than it already was, so that was good.
However, he did quite a bit of research to find out if there was
anything else he could do to keep the calcium from being excreted,
besides taking HCTZ. He got on the internet - then read the book "The
China Study". Come to find out - too much protein causes the kidney
to excrete calcium. The amount of protein that is OK for a person to
eat is variable. We know that the US recommends 30-40grams per day,
but after the research he did, he felt it was OK to go down to 10-15
grams per day, some days 20 grams. Primarily it was a very low
protein diet. He just increased his carbs, - but not in the grain
category. It took him quite a while to adjust but has been successful
so far. He asked his endocrinologist about protein being a factor and
he had said it may be an issue for some people - especially animal
protein. His doctor then ordered another 24hr urine and after being
on the low protein diet (without HCTZ) for 3-4 months - his Calcim
came back normal. So, he felt he was on the right track. This
endocrinologist was also the one that tested his blood for Celiac.
His doctor then gave him his blessing to continue on the low protein
diet and then plans in another year to test him again for osteopenia
- to see if there were any changes.
+++++++++
This is hard to understand.  When our body gets to much vitamin D it excrets
it but it also takes calcium with it, through our kidneys.  That is why here
in the states we have alot of osteoporosis and such.  We are a milk and meat
eating country.  In countries were they do not consume milk they do not have
the problems with osteoporosis and bone deteriorating diseases.  Go to
notmilk.com.  It does alot of explaining.  Do you get enough sun.  Maybe
your body cannot use the vitamin D in the tablet form.  You only need about
15 minutes 2 to 3 times a weeks to make the amount your body needs.  Since
you are on a high protein diet may be the reason you are excreting the
calcium.  It can cause that and damage to your kidneys.  When I first got
sick all I could eat was protein.  Everything else gave me diarreha.  I had
it constantly.  Soy gives me diarreha.  I gave that up and milk and of
course the wheat and I straightened up.  I had something called dumping
syndrome...look that up.  You may be having some of that.  I had a bad
gallbladder and finially had to have it removed.  Seems you need a
gallbladder or at least one that is functioning properly to digest soy.
I can't comment on your specific case but here are some general things you might talk with your doctor about:
Ask about a referral to an RD--Registered Dietitian. Especially one that specializes in Celiac and GI nutrition.
Ask your doctor about protein intake and calcium excretion. Ask him what the National Osteoporosis Foundation talks about with regard to protein and calcium supplementation. Talk to your doctor about the different types of calciums available vs. the one you are taking. Some require food and an acidic environment while others can be passively absorbed in a non acidic environment. Look up the National Osteoporosis Foundations website and look under nutrient interactions and timing.
These general guidelines may or may not be able to help you in your specific case, only your doctors will be able to determine that.
Ask your doctor about your PTH (parathyroid hormone) levels and what they mean.
Another good person to turn to is your pharmacist. Keep your doctors informed before you make changes so they can manage your case appropriately and provide the best possible care. It sounds like a team approach might be worth looking into.

Thank you all,
Diana in RI