From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 01:34:51 -0400

Labelling like this, not only wouldn't help us find the hidden HVP, but it
could set a dangerous precent for setting some allowable amount of gluten in
something labelled "gluten-free". Don Wiss.

From: [log in to unmask] (Mark D. Gold)
Newsgroups: alt.med.allergy
Subject: Re: MSG Update
Date: 1 Sep 1995 04:46:50 GMT

[snipped...]

One other update regarding MSG:

Yesterday, the Federation of American Societies for Experimental
Biology (FASEB) issued a report claimed that acute reactions to MSG
do not occur below 3 grams and that above 3 grams mostly mild
reactions occur.  This was part of a press release from the FDA that
was issued today.  What they didn't say is that at least 4 of the 8
members of the FASEB committee had conflict of interest.  It's hard
to believe that FASEB cannot find 8 qualified and *independent*
scientists amongs their 42,000 members that could perform an honest
review.  This is nothing new, I guess.  The FDA, so called
"independent" scientific organizations and the food manufacturers
have been in bed together for many years -- see Science, Volume 177,
page 1172-1174, for example.

From what I've been told, the FDA will begin requiring labelling for
food products which have more than 3 grams of MSG.  The is worthless
because persons who are sensitive to MSG often reaction at much lower
levels.  It is dangerous because many people who are sensitive to MSG
will see no "glutamate" listed (because their are 2.5 grams, for
example) and will assume that it is "safe."  It is unfair because
persons who choose to avoid contributing to neuroendocrine disorders
or avoid the possibility of giving brain lesions to their infant will
have no information about MSG on most products.

In order to serve food manufacturers, the FDA is now following this
logic:

 - One serving of MSG at 3 grams may cause reactions so require
   labels.
 - Two serving of MSG at 2.5 grams is "safe" so don't require
   labeling.
 - L-glutamic acid supplements are not safe, but MSG (L-glutamic
   acid) is safe.

As I write this my local news station is interviewing a researcher
about MSG, but they do not know that the research works for the
glutamate and aspartame industry.  Oh well.

I have an article on my Web page about aspartame which also discusses
MSG in the aspartate section.  I also have an MSG article, but it
doesn't go into nearly as much depth and it's not on my Web page, but
I can send it to you if you're interested.

Best regards,
                           - Mark
                http://www.tiac.net/users/mgold/