From:
Sue Jeno <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:19:27 -0600

Thought I'd share a few fun recipes I adapted to be GF this weekend.  The
muffin recipe is a great treat if you have fresh strawberries
available.  The brownie recipe, though time consuming, makes the richest
brownies I have ever made and are perfect for the celebrations for St.
Patrick's day.  If you are not a chocolate lover, the brownie recipe would
not be worth the time.  The brownies are great by themselves without the
extra toppings if you are looking for a treat or if you can't keep hungry
fingers away from the pan.  We have enjoyed both of these recipes.

If you don't mind adapting some of the recipes, the Taste of Home cookbooks
are really fun books.  The recipes are generally simple, easy to adapt and
the pictures are great - my children enjoy picking out recipes to try.  I
have no affiliation with the cookbooks or publisher, just really enjoy them
and thought I'd pass on the info.

Sue
North Dakota

Irish Mint Brownies

Adapted from a recipe by Lori Risdal published in the 2006 Taste of Home
Annual Recipes

Prep:  45 min  Bake 30 min. + chilling

1 cup butter, cubed
4 squares (1 oz. each) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups GF flour mix
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
1 cup (6 oz) double dark chocolate chips or semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Filling:
4 squares (1 oz. each) white baking chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup refrigerated Irish crème nondairy creamer
1 cup heavy whipping cream
15 mint Andes candies, chopped

ICING:
12 squares (1 oz each) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons butter

In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter and bittersweet chocolate; cool
slightly.   In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla.  Stir in chocolate
mixture.  Mix flour, xanthan gum, and baking powder; gradually add flour
mixture to batter until blended.  Stir in chips and walnuts (if
desired).  Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in x 2-in. baking pan.  Bake at
350 deg.F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center
comes out clean (do not overbake).  Cool on a wire rack.

In a saucepan, combine white chocolate and creamer.  Cook and stir over low
heat until smooth;  remove from heat.  Refrigerate 30-40 minutes or until
chilled.  In a mixing bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form; fold into
chocolate mixture.  Beat on medium until stiff peaks form, about 4
minutes.  Fold in candies.  Spread over brownies.  Cover; refrigerate.

In a small saucepan, combine bittersweet chocolate and cream.  Cook and sir
over low heat until chocolate is melted and smooth; remove from heat.  Stir
in butter until melted.  Cool to room temperature.  Carefully spread over
filling.  Score the chocolate into the size bars you will cut later;  makes
cutting the hardened chocolate easier. You can decorate each “bar” with a
piece of Andies mint candy prior to refrigerating.  Cover and refrigerate
for 1 hour or until icing is set.   Cut on score lines into bars.  Store in
refrigerator.

Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.

Almond Berry Muffins

Adapted from a recipe by Deborah Feinberg printed in the 2006 Taste of Home
Annual Recipes

1-1/4 cups sliced almonds, divided
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups GF flour mix
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1-1/4 cups fresh strawberries, chopped

In a bowl, combine 1 cup almonds and egg white.  Add 1/2 cup sugar; toss to
coat.  Spoon into a greased 15-in x 10-in x 1-in baking pan.  Bake at 350
deg F.  for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter, and remaining sugar until
light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Beat
in extracts.  Combine flour, baking power, salt, xanthan gum, and baking
soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.  Fold in
strawberries and remaining almonds.

Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups two-thirds full.  Sprinkle with
sugared almonds.  Bake at 350 deg. F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick
comes out clean.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pans to wire
racks.  Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.