From:
Susan Krouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:47:01 -0600

On Date:    Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:30:04 -0500
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Wrote in part:

I wondered what bentonite was too, and mentioned it to my husband last
night. (snip) He couldn't imagine why anyone would take it internally,
(snip)
My father is a processing engineer in the Taconite/Steel industry so I
have know about bentonite since I was very young.  Yes, it is a clay that
is used for a number of industrial purposes.  It also has a number of food
industry uses.  Bentonite is a VERY commonly used thickening agent in a
wide variety of food products ( Fast Food "shakes" comes to mind, they
call them shakes because there is NO milk in them, just ice and thickeners
and flavorings).  You have probably eaten it for years without realizing it.
 The good news is, since it is mineral based it is GF!  So don't worry if
you see it on an ingredients list.

As kids we always used to smile and tell people that we ate dirt, and
then bet them that they did too!  ;-)

Susan in St.Paul