Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:49:18 -0500

My apologies for the delay in getting this summary out - several people,
apparently, have the same problem I have. My original post was to ask the
list members, when using the original Toll House recipe for chocolate chip
cookies, but substituting GF flour, how do I get the dough from spreading
too much? I also made the comment that I thought the cookies were too sweet.
What I did, finally, was to use Crisco shortening in place of the butter or
margarine, reduced the white sugar to 1/4 c. and used 1 tsp. xanthan for
each c. of flour mix - which did not contain soy. When I bake these again,
I'll reduce the amount of xanthan to 1/2 tsp - 3/4 tsp per c. of flour. They
didn't spread and weren't too sweet, but they were a little too stiff, but
not enough to declare this experiment a failure. On the contrary, the
cookies were a success....thanks to everyone who responded!

Solutions to the "spreading" issue were as follows:

--Use shortening instead of butter or margarine
--Be sure to use xanthan [the amount people suggested varied - 1/4 tsp per
recipe to 1/4 tsp per c. of flour mix all the way up to 1 tsp per c. of
flour mix]
--Try using soy flour for 1/2 of the flour mix [I can't tolerate bean
flours, which includes soy]
--Use the recipe on the back of Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix and reduce
butter by 1/4 c.
--When baking from scratch use 1 tsp of xanthan for every 1 cup of flour
EXCEPT cakes use 1 tsp per *recipe* AND cookies use 2 tsp per cup of flour.
Too little xanthan gum will make things crumble. Too much xanthan gum will
make things very heavy.   (Cookies won't melt/spread out at all)
--If you have cable (specifically, the Food Network), try to find Alton
Brown's "Good Eats", and the episode, "Three Chips for Sister Marsha". Also,
all the recipes for that show are on their website at www.foodtv.com, but
here's the episode guide for that show:
 http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_27756,0
0.html<http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_27756,00.html>
--i have the easiest recipe...it's not Toll House cookies, but our family &
friends gobble these up.....
1 c. peanut butter (or almond butter)
1 egg
1 c. sugar (i use a little less)
a couple handfuls of choc. chips

mix well & roll into balls & place on greased cookie sheet. flatten with
hand & bake at 350ºF for 7-10 mins. let cool a few mins. then remove from
pan. i usually make 2 batches of this because they go so fast LOL
--This may not exactly be the baker's answer, but I buy the pre-made mixes.
I haven't in awhile, but I believe I found it at Whole Foods.  As far as the
spreading, have you tried rolling the dough into balls before placing on the
sheet?  That has worked for me.
--Karina's Kitchen- Recipes
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com
--I don't know where I read it, but now I cut the sugar in half.  If a
recipe calls for white and brown sugar both, I just leave out the white
sugar.  I have done this for years with regular and GF recipes and it seems
to help.
--I use Mr. Ritts flour mix (includes the xanthum gum) and make the recipe
on the bag of tollhouse chips.  The cookies are a hit with all the kids -
not just the ones that are GF.
--Instead of adding more flour I add corn starch and I roll the cookies out
( I use a small cookie ice cream scoop) and place them on a tray and put
them in the freezer for 15 minutes for the first batch and then I just keep
rolling out more and placing them in the freezer and pull them out as I need
them. I bake 6 to a pan. Hope this helps.
--Add Splenda to the recipe. I got this tip from Splenda several years ago
when I called for another reason. Splenda doesn't spread. I usually add 1/2
- 3/4 cp. Either replace equal amount of the sugar, or just add it right in.
The more Splenda, the less spread. Even works for cookie press cookies that
need to hold their shape.
--Add 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. of xanthan gum or guar gum to your recipe and then
refrigerate your dough for about an hour or two -- then bake.  This should
prevent spreading.  Good luck!
--1. Just add more flour - in the same proportions as the mixed flours -
easier when using as blend.
  2. If your flour mix has cornstarch, it will spread more. Or, increasing
egg, or xantham gum or decreasing liquids should help.
--
BAKER'S ONE BOWL CHOCOLATE BLISS COOKIES

2 pkg. Baker's semi-sweet baking chocolate, divided
3/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 C softened butter
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/2 C gluten-free flour mix
1/4 t. xanthan gum
1/4 t. baking powder
2 C choopped walnuts (optional) if omitting nuts, increase flour to 3/4 C
and increase xanthan gum to 1/2 t.

350 oven, preheated.  Coarsly chop 8 of the chocolate squares, set aside.
Microwave remaining 8 chocolate squares in large microwavable bowl on high 2
min, stirring after 1 min.  Stir until completely melted.  Add sugar,
butter, eggs and vanilla, stir until well blended.  Add flour, xanthan gum
and baking powder, mix well.  Stir in chopped chocolate and nuts.
Refrigerate dough for 2 hours before baking.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets, 2
inches apart.  Bake 12-13 min. or until cookies are puffed and shiny.  Cool
1 min. and remove from baking sheets to wire cookie rack.  Makes about 2-1/2
dozen cookies.