Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:16:54 -0700

SUMMARY TO MAILING LIST MEMBERSHIP

I posted the following message to the group under the subject of 'An
Observation'.  All of the responses I received to this post were positive.
A few people related past frustration at trying to do something sensible
about this problem and a few people asked for information.

I'm sorry to report that the response to my post to the list was so
insignificant that no conclusions could be drawn from such a small sampling
even though it was unanimously supportive or informational.  I received

Joe Clemens
Port Angeles, Washington

...All this said, I personally feel that the people who pester customer service
representatives do all celiacs a disservice because they force companies to
take intractable positions to counter us.  When we pester people and
threaten them with retaliation from our tiny, badly disorganized minority
I'm sure they laugh at us.  Celiacs are being labeled as petty complainers
and whiners.  Nobody ever responds positively to people that act that way.
I don't like people that act that way.  Sometimes I'm ashamed to be a celiac
when I read some of the posts to the list.

I think we should immediately begin an effort to change labeling and that
all of our efforts should be channeled into that.  I think the rest of this
is useless.  Even if you badger a company into saying a particular product
is gluten-free we have absolutely no assurance that the formula won't be
changed the very next day to something that contains gluten.

Think labeling changes and forget the petty bickering, threatening and
PESTERING!

Joe Clemens
Port Angeles, Washington