From:
Kimber Wakefield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:24:37 PST

With the focus on bread and cakes, I must add my usual nutritional
comments. First, I really like to focus on foods that promote healing
and add nutrients to our bodies since most with CD or wheat allergies
have a lot of physical (& emotional) healing to do. Veggies & fruits
are much more supportive of that than breads (hard to digest) &
desserts (sugar suppresses the immune system). Those foods also
encourage hypoglycemia & yeast growth in the GI tract - something
celiacs don't need - it's hard to get rid of those yeasty beasties!

To combat my sugar craving, I use Stevia. It is an herb that is many
times sweeter than sugar, but doesn't encourage hypoglycemia or yeast
replication. I found a few books that use it in recipes - "Allergy
Cooking With Ease" (Which is a really good book for using GF grains
for pizza dough & etc. Haven't tried a lot of the recipes, but they
look good.) and "Body Ecology Diet". It has worked wonderfully for me
so far - though I prefer the white extract form. If you want to order
Stevia (if you can't find it in your healthfood store), it costs about
$7 per bottle - which lasts for months. I ordered it from The Fruitful
Yield on the east coast - it seemed to be the cheapest place I could
find. Most mail order companies have a little purple book on the herb
that gives equivilents to substitute in your current recipes. My
favorite is mixing it with vanilla almond/rice milk (if you can
tolerate it) and unsweetened cocoa for a wonderful hot chocolate!

Kimber (Portland, OR)

PS. As usual, I don't have any ties to the product or companies...
Blah Blah... Just a wheat intolerant nurse concerned with CD issues
and healing.