From:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:42:06 -0600

Hi List, Thanks to everyone who sent great ideas for crispy waffles. I'm experimenting today, a 1 cup flour batch at a time.

This is my flour mix:
(3 pts) Sorghum Flour
(1 pt) Sweet Rice Flour
(1 pt) White or Brown Rice Flour
(1 pt) Potato Starch
(1 pt) Corn Starch

1st Batch:
Used my pancake recipe -
(1cp) flour
(2 tsp) Baking powder
(1/2 tsp) each soda & salt & Xanthum Gum
(1) egg
(1 cp) milk

As suggested by many I separated the egg & whipped the white first. Also, as suggested, more oil/fat, so I added 2 "goodly sized" Tbs of Canola oil to the batter. Also some suggested adding more rice or cornstarch so I added (1/4) cup. I read my canola oil spray can & there is water in it, so I brushed on canola oil directly. (This caused smoke & the smoke detector to go off, the dogs jumped up barking their fool heads off which freaked the cats out big time & everybody chasing everybody as I raced out to the mudroom to click off the alarm breaker!)
BUT.... once I made it back to the kitchen, I realized I had to work a bit quicker once I brushed on the oil.

I cranked the temp up to high & using Alton Brown's technique of (1) ice cream scoop per waffle (mine does 4 at a time) I got great results! The temp really needs to be at it's hottest, getting good sizzle when the batter is scooped on. & Like most said, I wasn't leaving them in long enough. I think the best ones were on for 4 minutes.

They were nice & crunchy, great structure, no whimpiness at all. In fact I used 2 to make a ham sandwich. Tasted great & didn't fall apart or turn to mush from the mayo.

2nd Batch:
Same pancake recipe -
added (1/4 cp) Corn Meal

Everything else the same, separated egg white & whipped it, added (2 TBS) Canola oil. Some suggested the corn meal for crunchiness. I'm not a big fan of corn bread, but these are quite tasty. I was full from my sandwich, but I tried one with some blackberry jam. No sogginess from the jam, held up nicely. Couldn't really taste the cornmeal.

3rd Batch:
Same pancake recipe -

I was curious if I really needed to separate the egg to make them crispy, or was the extra oil & high heat the key. So this batch I only added (1/4 cp) extra flour to make the batter as thick as the other 2. Did not separate the egg white. This one is crunchy too, just like the others.

So my conclusion so far....extra oil, really hot waffle iron, leave them in longer than you would first think, & use oil brushed on the iron, not spray that might have water in it.

One other note - I cool my waffles & pancakes too, on an oven rack set on the counter so air circulates underneath. No condensation builds up to make them soggy.

Thanks to all, I love my crunchy waffles!

I will post everyone's summary in a bit.

Carol