From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:33:21 -0500

I got 9 responses privately in addition to the one to the list from Jim
Lyles. All referred to cookies. 3 of the 9 have no short term reaction. 2
of the 6 who responded found other explanations, while another couldn't be
sure that her cookies were responsible:

Several who reacted spoke to Pamela. All seemed satisfied she was being
very careful.

>>She believed the problem arose cause I ate a whole box, and my system is
just not used to that overload of spices.  She had had another call from
someone else who ate a whole box, and believed that was the problem.<<

>>She assured me in writing that she continually checks her mfging process
for contamination.  I suggest you look for another ingredient other than
gluten.  In my case, it was too much chocolate.<<

>> Pamela sent 4 cases of cookies to our support group which I gave away
approximately 9 months ago and no one complained of illness.  <<

>> Pamela, herself, is on maternity leave.  I phoned her at home.  I was
concerned because I found some nuts in the Simply Chocolate Shortbread.
...She told me that from now on all cookies containing nuts would be run last
before the equipment is thoroughly cleaned.<<

I looked at the list of ingredients on the ginger cookies and noticed
"expeller pressed canola oil"  as well as "sliced almonds". Nuts are high
on the list of frequently occurring food allergens; some celiacs
apparently react to canola oil (a fat), whether a reaction to gluten
(protein) or just to an allergen is a contentious question; "spices"
provides a cover for lots of potential allergens or potential gluten.

So the answers are ambiguous. I've decided to still eat the cookies at the
same level of three to four a week, largely because she's been so
responsive to celiac concerns. I urge those who react to her products to
contact  her after making sure some other ingredient isn't the source of
the problem. Responses to food allergens occur on the same time scale,
after all.
                                                Kemp Randolph
                                                Long Island