From:
Judith Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:22:32 -0500

Thanks to all who replied to my message "Potato Chips Make Me Sick".  I
received approximately 25 messages which were all very encouraging and
helpful!

Here is a summary of the responses:

1. Most people said if you must eat chips, stick with the plain unflavoured
kind. Many of the flavoured chips (bbq, sour cream, etc.) list flour as an
ingredient.  As always, read labels!

2. Other comfort food suggested
        - dark chocolate Milky Ways (milk chocolate ones have flour). The
writer freezes them.
        - popcorn
        - Fritos
        - Keebler Tato Skins
        - Tostitos
        - Lay's regular chips  (the baked ones contain wheat)
        - Planters sugar coated peanuts
        - Frito-Lay Ruffled potato chips (Low Fat)
        - Wise potato chips
        - Miss Vickie's chips
        - macaroons
        - refried beans
        - cookies

3. If flour is not an ingredient, then perhaps it is the fat. Look for low
fat chips that are baked, not fried. One person cautioned that baked ones
may have flour in the mixture.

4. Some people said food with lots of oil gives them gas.

5. Flour could be used to coat the conveyor belt in the factory so the
chips don't stick to it. This isn't an ingredient (!!) so wouldn't be
listed.

6. For some, eating just a few is o.k., but eating a large quantity results
in diarrhea. This would seem to me to indicate the problem is the fat.

7. Some people said they suspect it's the canola oil that is causing the
problem for them (i.e., cross contamination from wheat grown in the same
field the previous year).

8. When reading labels, avoid "modified food starch" and "natural flavours".
Here is a recipe for potato chips that one person sent me. I'm going to try
them!
"Slice potatos paper thin.  Place them in a single layer on a sprayed
cookie sheet and place under the broiler until brown.You can turn them if
you like.  They don't taste the same and must be eaten immediately, but it
is better than cutting them out all together. "

9. One's ability to digest fat was damaged when eating wheat and may take a
while to recover.

10. "One of the common problems I have seen with Celiacs is TOO MUCH fiber.
Some fiber is necessary to keep anything working right, but too much too
often is very irritating to the intestines.  You keep them irritated long
enough they
become very sensitive to almost everything."  Some said they had trouble
with fatty foods for at least two years after going GF. (I think this may
be my major problem as I have also had problems with bacon!)

Thanks again to all! I've converted for now to popcorn and am enjoying it
very much!

Munching away,

Judith

oooooooooooooooooooo