From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 11:06:19 -0700

Myke said:

> Other members of the list are not so fortunate. Any gluten in their diet
> causes tremendous distress. In one sense though, everyone on the list is
> fortunate. I am not aware of CD causing anaphalactic shock and death, as a
> peanut allergy can.

My understanding is that gliadin shock can take place. That is where
excessive intestinal bleeding takes place. My dad bled to death
intestinally, a few days after a 2 week stay in the hospital. They were
unable to find the cause of his abdomimal pain, so he was sent home. The
autopsy indicated that he had bled from multiple duodenal ulcers.

I suffered from bouts of rather severe intestinal bleeding for a number
of years. Since I was diagnosed with celiac disease, over 2 years ago, I
have only had recurrences from accidental ingestions of gluten, and from
aspirin.

I did not want to leave the post unchallenged, since it might have dire
consequences if someone were to accept the notion that such violent
allergic reactions don't happen in cd. (Although Myke did qualify what he
said, the risk remains.)
Sincerely,
Ron Hoggan