From:
Junior Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 19:52:41 -0400

Hi,

I understand that Sodium Nitrite and Nitrate is bad for us.  Does anyone
know what it is and how it is used.  From the archives, not much.  One
person said that Sodium Nitrite gave them a headache another person said
that Sodium Nitrate was used to enhance the color in meats.  Does this
mean that when we buy fresh meat it has Sodium Nitrate on it. Is that
what makes the beef look so red?  Seems most processed meat has Sodium
Nitrite on the ingredients list.

Thanks
Junior Welch
Rutledge, TN USA