From:
"Tami L. Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 21:23:24 -0400

I know the subject line sounds strange, but it does summarize my
question. My celiac son wants to be an astronaut (what 5-year-old boy
doesn't?). I've encouraged this & we've even gone so far as to find out
how a person could become an astronaut. One of the two ways is to be a
military pilot.

My question is this:  would celiac disease keep someone out of the
military (it seems like it would, but I'm not sure). My father also
thinks that CD would keep my son from ever being an astronaut anyway,
since they must be in "perfect health." I know I'm jumping the gun a
little with career-planning for an almost-first-grader, but maybe I
could steer him away from something hopeless before he wastes his dreams
and aspirations.

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject, I'd appreciate some
enlightenment. (And, no, I haven't contacted NASA or a military
recruiter -- I think I've been afraid of the answer I'd get.).

Thanks,
Tami

--
Tami Powell